Temporary protection for flat roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've raise a flat roof/bedroom ceiling on a side extension and need to wait a while before the roofer extends the hipped roof over the top.

So I now have a flat roof made of moisture resistant chipboard flooring. I want to cover it to protect it from the weather but not sure what to use.

At the minute it's covered with 1200 grade Visqueen but I can't see that lasting so I thought of either putting a sheet of rubber roof over the top (£220), a pond liner (£65) or tarpaulin (£25).

What do you think would work?

Sponsored Links
I thought the tarpaulin might be the least waterproof when it's horizontal.

Although if I tarpaulin over the Visqueen I would hope it wouldn't leak.

It could be there for 2 months :(

You'll be suprised how long 1200 guage polythene lasts on a roof. Years. Through two updates of Google Earth. :cautious: :rolleyes: :oops:

Sponsored Links
Use the pond liner, I used a tarp and it leaked like a sieve.

After you have finished with it you could make a bird bath for the Emu.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andy

Was that at yours Woody or somewhere else?

I could bury the Emu under a pond!! That sounds like a plan!!

There are PVC and rubber pond liners, the PVC won't be the same as the 1200's will it?

The blue woven plastic "water resistant" tarpaulins that you get in the DIY sheds are not waterproof. I have a green one (also plastic) that I bought from a farm shop, that claims to be fully waterproof, though I've not tried it (bought it to keep a roof deck dry before EPDM installation, but didn't need it due to good weather :) ).

Why don't you think Visqueen will last? it's built for a hard life, is Visqueen.

I thought the tarpaulin might be the least waterproof when it's horizontal.

It could be there for 2 months :(
It would be waterproof if it was vertical, reducing as the angle increases. So you're right.

Tbh, I did make a really good job of the polythene cover.

You should quote me to fit mine!!!

Why don't you think Visqueen will last? it's built for a hard life, is Visqueen.

I use it at work to dig out onto but wasn't sure if sunlight (not that we get much) might cause it to crack on the folds. It's a bit light weight as well so I was thinking wind could lift and tear it.

So I blagged a bit in my first post, I just fitted the joists and floor today.

I'm praying for a dry night so I can get it sheeted in the morning. I'm going to Visqueen it and drape a tarp over the top to make use of the eyelets.

Coule of picks for you all to laugh at, yes I do do everything backwards :

IMG_2167.JPG

IMG_2168.JPG

IMG_2178.JPG

IMG_2179.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2189.JPG

Not yet, it's a Dutch end so I need to go another 3 blocks up.

IMG_2194.JPG

if you were nailing that down when it was that dark, your neighbours must really love you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back