Tempremental RCD - why?

Have you got an old MEM board with a long lever?

Some older RCD's (and all the above-mentioned MEM RCD's that I have encountered) will not reset without turning off all MCB's first.

You can have your RCD tested to make sure it is within its operating parameters. This is best done with the RCD in isolation.

Ps you can do it DIY but the testing would be impossible without the right tool. You'd really need to notify building control.
You need to notify to be able to test?

Sponsored Links
You need to notify to be able to test?
As per Johnw, I meant two separate requirements both testing and ideally notification. Although the testing is the important part, I added the notification as an after thought.

I hadn't really thought about how a circuit breaker should work if you turn on with a fault present, but if you have a short on an MCB you'd want it to trip immediately regardless of where you hold the lever.
Indeed, it's called "trip free" and as you say ...
Otherwise I could imagine propping up the lever with a bit of wood would be the modern equivalent of replacing the fuse with with a bit of CPC.:whistle:
Exactly. The trip releases the contact mechanism from the mechanical latch AND the operating handle/lever. And that's specifically to prevent the breaker being held closed.

Sponsored Links
Turned out to be a cable fault (neutral to earth) in the wiring to some of the spotlights in our newish kitchen extension.
All sorted now by a friendly electrician.

Turned out to be a cable fault (neutral to earth) in the wiring to some of the spotlights in our newish kitchen extension.
All sorted now by a friendly electrician.
Thanks for the update, glad you've resolved it!(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back