Terminals on new double sockets too small

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forum, so bear with me.
OK: 4 kitchen double switched sockets very old and damaged, rest of kitchen now completed and new sockets all ready for replacement, in replacing 2 issues have arisen.
1/ some of the earth cables were streched to their full extent with the old socket faceplate, the new sockets have a different layout and the earth cables wont reach. To overcome this I have used a small six terminal connector to wire all four earths onto one extended solid earth core and connected that. Should be OK? If not how can I extend the cables correctly?
2/ much bigger problem, on one of the sockets, there are three solid core cables to be connected, the new sockets terminals arent big enough to accommodate all three cores. On closer inspection my new sockets have a smaller neutral connector than a live connector, but its not possible to get all three cores into the live. I tried drilling out the live and neutral connectors but its didnt work out vey well, they were encapsulated into the socket assembly and just spun while drilling.
The new sockets are just normal B&Q jobbies, doe anyone know where I can get some sockets with large aperture connectors and if possible two earth connectors?

Sponsored Links
You can crimp and shrink to extend your wire. though this will make things crowded in the backbox.

If all you are trying to terminate is 2 or possibly 3 wires into each terminal them you should not be having a problem. Is it all 2.5/1.5 T&E?

If you were to buy Double Pole Sockets then you will find these generally have 2 earthing points which may solve your problem of needing to extend the earth.

1/ some of the earth cables were streched to their full extent with the old socket faceplate, the new sockets have a different layout and the earth cables wont reach. To overcome this I have used a small six terminal connector to wire all four earths onto one extended solid earth core and connected that.
Four earths?

Should be OK?
Sounds iffy - post a photo.

If not how can I extend the cables correctly?
By crimping.

2/ much bigger problem, on one of the sockets, there are three solid core cables to be connected, the new sockets terminals arent big enough to accommodate all three cores.
I find it hard to believe that even the cheapest socket won't take 3 x 2.5mm² cores.

On closer inspection my new sockets have a smaller neutral connector than a live connector,
That sounds very odd as well.

I tried drilling out the live and neutral connectors
:eek:

but its didnt work out vey well, they were encapsulated into the socket assembly and just spun while drilling.
Count yourself lucky that you didn't succeed.

The new sockets are just normal B&Q jobbies, doe anyone know where I can get some sockets with large aperture connectors and if possible two earth connectors?
Same place, but buy the MK ones.

1/ some of the earth cables were streched to their full extent with the old socket faceplate, the new sockets have a different layout and the earth cables wont reach. To overcome this I have used a small six terminal connector to wire all four earths onto one extended solid earth core and connected that.
Four earths?

Two ring, one spur and one flylead to patress?

Sponsored Links
Flylead yes, but he wrote as if every socket had 4 cpcs.

Maybe it's high integrity cpcs for a ring final, done properly.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

headbang2.gif

yes there are four earth wires as you say, 3 from cables entering the box and 1 connected to the metal backbox. The answer to this may be to get a socket with two earth terminals at opposite ends.

on the other issue re the size of the cores, I cant be sure if the cores are 2.5mm or larger but I can be certain that the neutral connectors are smaller than the live terminals.

Lesson; dont buy cheap own brand tat. Ill measure the diameter of the terminals with a drill bit and ensure I get a larger version.

If your twisting cores pre trying to terminate, un twist and straighten them out.

Twisting tends to bulk out and will be a bigger volume than 3 x cores side by side.

Might sound daft- but do make sure the screw on the socket terminal is undone to allow full use of the terminal cavity for the wires.

I tried drilling out the live and neutral connectors but its didnt work out vey well, they were encapsulated into the socket assembly and just spun while drilling.

Sling those in the bin as the joint between the cable connection sleeve and the internal bus bars in the socket has been broken when it spun round. It might work as socket but the risk of poor contact, arcing and over heating (enough to melt or ignite the socket) is too high.

Better smash the socket before putting in the bin in case someone recovers it and uses it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back