Terminating SWA...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which metal boxes should be used for terminating 6mm swa cable and where can you get them? Thanx in advance...

Sponsored Links
somthing fairly big

if you are using a small metalclad or IP rated plastic CU (i wouldn't adsise it with a standard household pastic one) in the outbuilding you can terminate direct to that

at the house end i tend to prefer an isolator or rcd in a metalclad modular box

if you are just looking to terminate the cable to twin and earth a 6x6 adaptable is probablly the way to go

Thanks! You mean like this?

I assume this box just suitable for indoors. My electrician suggested terminating outside, pulling the inner core inside - I'd need a smaller hole through the wall.

Is this a good idea? What box could I use for outside? Or should I bring the whole cable inside and terminate it indoors?

I usually terminate inside if there is a suitable location and the hole can be drilled without breaching a damp course.

Sponsored Links
i *strongly* reccomend terminating inside

i also advise entering buildings (especilly wooden outbuildings) through the floor if practical

Thanks guys. I have masonry walls and solid floors so I cannot go in beneath the floor. Was the box in the link OK? Any alternatives?

Tip - drill the hole for the cable angled downwards from inside to out - water doesn't run uphill.

yeah thats the way for a brick building

a hole in brick is pretty easy to seal anyway though

with a thin wooden structure though you are likely to have much more trouble sealing stuff which is why i reccomend floor entry into wooden outbuildings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back