Termination of SWA within consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to terminate a 2.5mm2 cable within a consumer unit ? Research suggests I can either drill a hole 18mm-22mm into the consumer unit (this would have to be at the side of the consumer unit) . OR,

Alternatively, there are pre-cut out holes in the consumer unit which I can make use of. As per the photo.

I will be using a gland kit to create the connection in both scenarios.

If I had to choose it would be to use the cut out as it would allow me to drill a series of small holes. The cable feeds perfectly through the smallest of the cut outs. However, I'm not so sure how well the gland itself is going to fit in this scenario.

Could really use some help here.

Attachments

• IMG_20230615_091237649.jpg
    IMG_20230615_091237649.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 97
Sponsored Links
Is that a plastic CU?
If yes, you'll be better off buying an adaptable box and a bit of conduit- gland the SWA into the adaptable box, run the tails through the conduit into the CU.
Glanding onto that thin plastic casing will almost certainly deform it, making getting the lid off snd on very tiresome. You may also struggle with space inside the cu to dress the swa tails.

Sponsored Links
There are with some boxes an internal steel strengthening part with also earths any SWA gland, but unless that is included in the main any SWA gland will warp the box, I fitted a steel socket back box and it doubled as a local socket and a steel box to gland into.

Thank you so much for the advice.
Yes it's a plastic consumer unit installed not long before metal became a regulatory requirement.

Having a brief look at the usual merchants I can find a 4 X 4 X 2 adaptable box but nothing smaller. @bernardgreen did you go to a electrical wholesaler for that smaller version of the box ? No major concern really as there is plenty of space for the 4 X 4 X 2.

Thanks everyone for your help with this.

A MK metalclad plus backbox with blanking plate works nicely for this (other brands of metalclad box often have overlapping lips which you don't want if you are going to but it up to another enclosure.

A MK metalclad plus backbox with blanking plate works nicely for this (other brands of metalclad box often have overlapping lips which you don't want if you are going to but it up to another enclosure.
Aye good call, dunno why but whenever swa gets involved i always visualise 10 or 16mm....

A copper pipe cutter - the sort with the little scoring wheel and a knob to turn to adjust for size is fantastic to use for terminating SWA. Use it first to score the steel armour, then move it along a bit to cut around the black outer cover.

the secret is to disturb the steel spiral as little as possible -DAMHIK

If you really must do what I consider to be a botch and add an external ugly box there are other things to use.
1686853301071.png
1686853334103.png

If you really must do what I consider to be a botch and add an external ugly box there are other things to use.
View attachment 306054View attachment 306055
Don't forget the gasket, lid and 4 mm screws, I did. Under £2 for box, Gaskets around £1.50 for pack of 10, lids around £1.60 pack of 10, screws around £2.50 for 25, so total around £8 but you have loads of screws, gaskets, and lids left over. Oh and a 4 mm hole lug for the earth.

Back box £2 and lid £2 so under half the price. And less waste.

Don't forget the gasket, lid and 4 mm screws, I did. Under £2 for box, Gaskets around £1.50 for pack of 10, lids around £1.60 pack of 10, screws around £2.50 for 25, so total around £8 but you have loads of screws, gaskets, and lids left over. Oh and a 4 mm hole lug for the earth.

Back box £2 and lid £2 so under half the price. And less waste.
I'd only offered a suggestion for another option.

However in my local wholesaler price to me for a through box complete with. flat lid and 2 screws; £1.35 + vat. Gasket or raised lid (If you feel it's required) 20p + VAT or under £2.00 last time I purchased mid summer 2022.

Yeah I agree the extra screw and the ring crimp will be the killer.

The nicer alternative is to work out the best way to avoid using the superfluous additional box if practical. I personally have never found the need/requirement to add an additional box solely for the purpose of running a cable to an enclosure.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back