termination of SWA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
where was that post made by someone here about how to terminate SWA? I just had the parts for my shed install delivered by TLC and I fear termination of the SWA may not be as simple as i expected. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Crafty, dont follow the snips thing,

Best way is to use a hole cutter and fix the gland as shown. Some swa have an olive inside and others have a roughened section on the actual gland. Make sure the narrow chamfered end points into the gland first i it has one. (wont tighten up otherwise)

Work out roughly the amount you need to strip and score round with a junior hacksaw. By score i mean cut the a few mm into the armouring without going too far. Cut down to that point with a stanley and then strip the outer sheath. The armouring should now just fold back and snap off.

In my oppinion it disturbs the armouring too much touse snips like that and it can be a struggle to get the back gland on.

james 29 said:
Crafty, dont follow the snips thing,

Best way is to use a hole cutter and fix the gland as shown. Some swa have an olive inside and others have a roughened section on the actual gland. Make sure the narrow chamfered end points into the gland first i it has one. (wont tighten up otherwise)

Work out roughly the amount you need to strip and score round with a junior hacksaw. By score i mean cut the a few mm into the armouring without going too far. Cut down to that point with a stanley and then strip the outer sheath. The armouring should now just fold back and snap off.

In my oppinion it disturbs the armouring too much touse snips like that and it can be a struggle to get the back gland on.

i do it this way aswell and its much easier and quicker, and you get a better (more straight) cut

ban-all-sheds said:
Diagrams for (one type of) gland, and a link to the topic to which I think you were referring..

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=219838#219838
. .
. .
. .
cheers ban. thats what i was looking for. My gland has another part, with a rubber compression ring in it, i take it this is for use outdoors and is just meant to grip the plastic, not the armour.

crafty1289 said:
My gland has another part, with a rubber compression ring in it, i take it this is for use outdoors and is just meant to grip the plastic, not the armour.

yes, but for them to work, the armour has to be cut very short

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back