Tesla magic running low

You assume I have swallowed the climate change hysteria/new religion hook, line.............................

I can see you're nobody's fool... :rolleyes:

While we self-flagellate ourselves, other countries (China) carry on regardless building numerous new coal fired power station and increase pollution with heavy industry. Closer to home, you do realise countries like Czech Republic with large coal reserves generate almost half their electricity from coal? Our impact on worldwide emmissions would be negligible if everyone in UK took up impractical forms of transport overnight like EVs.

Yeah, it's a funny thing, isn't it? There's quite a high, positive correlation between the number of people who whine and moan about how Britain used to be "great" but isn't any more, and how other countries have overtaken us, and the number of people who seem o be intent on making sure we aim for the bottom...

Your heart must fair swell with jingoistic pride as you set your aspirations to being more like former Eastern bloc countries...:ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Maybe, deal with that as & when the time comes. Being retired moderating car usage/fuel consumption will not be an insurmountable problem as there is no commuting, taking kids to school, acting as the family taxi or travelling to baby-sit the grandchildren. Might even make better use of the bus pass.

BEV's may well be emission free (at the tailpipe at least) but I don't think the power to charge them is .. electricity prices can only go one way.

If you do very little mileage, it probably won't be worth you getting an EV, but the sums for the emissions of cars charged from the grid are very easily done, and they're a mile better than the equivalent ICE.

144 grammes of CO2 per kWh generated from the National Grid last year. I'm sure Reaganandcarter will be disappointed to hear how much better than places like Poland, we are, but by any other standard, it's something we can be proud of.

So that's 144 grammes of CO2 to push my car about 3.5 miles - or 41 grammes per mile (or to covert to g/km so it can be compared with an ICE car, 26 grammes per km).

Have a look round and see what sort of ICE car you can get, that will give you 26 grammes per km of CO2...

Your heart must fair swell with jingoistic pride as you set your aspirations to being more like former Eastern bloc countries...:ROFLMAO:

Ypur heart must fair swell with jingoistic pride as the net zero religion you follow makes our industry uncompetetive and leads to the exporting of jobs to other countries. :rolleyes:

Ypur heart must fair swell with jingoistic pride as the net zero religion you follow makes our industry uncompetetive and leads to the exporting of jobs to other countries. :rolleyes:

Labour rates, largely. You want British workers to enjoy pay and conditions in the Far East?

I wonder, when China overtakes us in green energy, what your next excuse will be?

Sponsored Links

I see the complacency that lost us first our bike industry, and then our car industry, is alive and well....

Some people never learn, do they? :rolleyes:

Elon Musk is in China to wriggle out a deal to sell them software for autonomous cars. The Chinese have the cars but it seems cannot find a way to steal the technology to make them self-driving. A new development in airborne cars looks like fun - similar to drone tech where four propellers swing out of the top and lift the vehicle upwards. I imagine you'd need the right kind of weather conditions to fly but the day when you can fly from London to Oxford for lunch and drive on to Manchester for dinner is one step closer. Maybe a hybrid vehicle for the energy system to recharge in flight or on the ground?

One of my neighbours works as a sales 'exec' for a nationwide car dealer.
The vast majority of new BEV sales are to business users, private sector sales have all but collapsed.
He didn't tell you why? Because everyone in the industry does know the reason for it.

If you get an EV through a business lease scheme you can save a lot of money in avoided taxes, then buy it at the end of you really want. They're massively cheaper than petrol at the moment. Business leasing of EVs has gone through the roof.

He didn't tell you why? Because everyone in the industry does know the reason for it.

If you get an EV through a business lease scheme you can save a lot of money in avoided taxes, then buy it at the end of you really want. They're massively cheaper than petrol at the moment. Business leasing of EVs has gone through the roof.
As it happens one of my friends runs a BEV as a company car so I was already aware of the set-up & didn't need to question the reason.
Incidentally he hates the thing (n)

As it happens one of my friends runs a BEV as a company car so I was already aware of the set-up & didn't need to question the reason.
Incidentally he hates the thing (n)
What did he get?

We should see direct to consumer sales picking up in the next few years as the cheap Chinese EVs from BYD and Dacia start arriving. The UK only has EVs in the pricier parts of the market rather than mass market econoboxes. Now they're showing up and now they're cheaper than most ICEs the sales will rise.

No idea, they all look the same to me .. unlike the classics I drive (y)
Not seen him lately, but I'll ask when I do.
Of course the classics have a greater range of shapes. They predated wind tunnels, computer modelling, non existent safety rules and benefitted from petrol too cheap to measure.

When standards are that low you can build some very interesting things. ;)

Introducing the Xpeng AeroHT:

I want one.

I want to put on a pair of bug-eye shades and vape like a steamer, leaving the rush hour far below.

Look at it! Cool as f...

Of course the classics have a greater range of shapes. They predated wind tunnels, computer modelling, non existent safety rules and benefitted from petrol too cheap to measure.

When standards are that low you can build some very interesting things. ;)
And basically reliable things as well .. my two have a combined age of 63 years & still going strong.
Will be a different story for the disposable items, sorry cars, produced today. Legislation will likely kill the old 'uns long before they die naturally :(

And basically reliable things as well .. my two have a combined age of 63 years & still going strong.
Will be a different story for the disposable items, sorry cars, produced today. Legislation will likely kill the old 'uns long before they die naturally :(
Survivorship bias. For your two survivors there are untold cars that were scrapped years before.

Modern cars are more reliable and last longer. But I can see issues getting replacement electronics when the existing stock of spares runs out as the fab lines won't produce the raw chips forever.

Sponsored Links
Back