Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Asking here rather than the audio visual section as guess those on here may know more about electronic theory.

Have recently been having reception and loss of siginal issues with our YouView box and sorted the issues out by buying a inline 4G TV filter and a shorter areal lead to replace the coiled up one.

Now the aerial was only fitted last year by a slightly jubios and unfriendly areal fitter who said our old areal was no good as was water damaged and that the new areal has a 4G filter built in.

Can I test the 4G filter built into the areal with my Digital MM what can measure capacitance to see if it has one and is working properly?

I would imagine a 4G filter would be comprised of simple passive components.

Regards: Elliott.

Sponsored Links
I would assume a 4G filter is a band pass filter, we used these to stop amateur radio and CB user from interfering with TV for years, but to test is not that easy, it is in essence a tuned circuit, an inductance and a capacitance standard way, we see it used where TV DAB and FM radio signals are combined then split again so one coax can take all from loft space to living room.

So only real way to test is to monitor the 4G signal, a wave meter may work, but likely an oscilloscope would be required to identify which signals are inside and outside the range. In real terms the TV should be able to filter out the 4G signal. It may be possible to actually use the TV to measure the signal, most do have a signal strength meter built in today, so setting TV to a 4G frequency one should be able to monitor.

But any radio signal can be also received on a bit of wet string if strong enough, so 4G filters on the aerial would not stop the lead picking up the signal, what we found was a problem in the old days was active aerial boosters, not only did they boost the TV signal, but they also boosted amateur radio and CB signals, so the TV could no longer reject them.

Personally I kicked Freeview TV to touch, and used satellite only, the freeview was forever swapping channels and requiring re-tuning, only when I moved to my mothers house did I again try freeview, it does not seem to have improved much, there are a few freeview channels which are no available for free on a satellite receiver, but there are far more channels available for free on satellite which are not available on freeview. Mothers set top box actually does both freeview and satellite so we can seamlessly flick through both, I can put up with the odd pixelation on freeview, but the high pitched sound which goes with it really drives me mad, so although freeview is there, very seldom used.

But we have as well as set top box, 4 TV's enabled for freeview, every one seems different, they are all HD TV's and boxes, but two will not receive freeview HD, 3 of them show freeview programs with same channel numbers, one does not have any digital channels below 100 so numbers all up the creak, and the set top box is standard as freeview numbers, but has option to move them, so I can place ITV3 freeview next to ITV3 satellite if I want. Flicking between the two, one quickly sees which is best, and it's not freeview.

I would say most likely the coiled cable was cause of your problem, and the 4G filter is not required, if it is then the TV or set top box must be poor quality. I use freeview with three TV's because they allows recording from a freeview signal, but not SCART from satellite box, if it was not for the 2 TV's with built in hard drives and the one TV which allows us to use an external hard drive I would again kick freeview to touch, however being able to record specially the ability to delay live TV, using built in hard drive, means keeping freeview. But rarely watch it live.

Now the aerial was only fitted last year by a slightly jubios and unfriendly areal fitter who said our old areal was no good as was water damaged and that the new areal has a 4G filter built in.
Did you buy your voice recognition s/w from a Chinese bloke on eBay?

:ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
So only real way to test is to monitor the 4G signal, a wave meter may work, but likely an oscilloscope would be required to identify which signals are inside and outside the range.

I was hoping I could compare the reading using a digital MM of the TV aerial with the supposed built in 4G filter against the new inline one that I bought the other day. Not to check if it's working, but just that it is present or not.

As a radio amateur, although not really a good one, took RAE some years ago now, one of our aims was not it interfere with other peoples radio receivers even if it was not our fault, we would fit band pass filters and braid breakers to other peoples aerial leads even when it was not our fault, but the equipment they were using. And we found there was some really rubbish radio receivers. They would pick up any strong signal even when it was well off frequency.

But any band pass filter needs to cover a range of frequencies, and they would not have a sharp cut off point, so they would reduce unwanted signals, but not stop them. What is really wanted is a good receiver in the first place. I could be talking on 145.300 and some one next to me on 145.400 and we did not interfere with each other one little bit.

The top channels which were used for TV have now been taken over by the mobile phone, we had aerials colour coded See this page and years ago one would buy an aerial for your area, when digital came out we started to use wide band aerials, this means they are heavier and have more wind resistance so not really a good thing, but the digital channels were slotted in where ever there was room. When the analogue was stopped the frequencies again could be put into bands for each area. So the wide band aerial often called a digital aerial was no longer required. Returning to banded aerials results in less damage due to high winds, but also results in the TV not getting out of frequency signals.

So telescope out and look at the end of the aerial and see what colour the bung is, then check for your area what the colour should be.

wp40f4fa60_01_1a.jpg
See the picture, the correct aerial is far more important than any filter.

Ariel = washing powder
Or a car, a Disney cartoon character or a spirit in The Tempest.

I don't recall eveares having posts riddled with egregious spelling mistakes before, hence wondering if he was using some voice "recognition" s/w.

It is unlikely your problem was 4G interference anyway. More likely that old coiled up lead you removed. As a test try removing the 4G filter you wasted * money on and see if the interference comes back.

* Wasted as you could have got one for free if it was required.

Thank you winston1 free filter info page I did not know you could get free filters. As to how you know if 4G that is causing the problem I do not know.

1. 4G interference has been grossly over exaggerated. It is actually quite rare.
2. The OP already has a 4G filtered aerial.
3. In areas where it may be a problem AT 800 have contacted everyone with a free filter offer.

This is my aerial, I guess it's a wide band. Just looks like a bog standard aerial from yesteryear.

This is my result from: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker

I have noticed since fitting the filter and the shorter aerial lead, I no longer get London Live, but that was a channel that I was experiencing lots of issues with anyway and sometimes would not be picked up when re-tuning.

Now it's gone completely since fitting the in-line 4G filter. Have to keep an eye out for further issues.

So you are on Crystal Palace (the only one with London Live). The frequencies used for CP are as far away from 4G as you can get so another reason it is not 4G interference. Any filter will introduce a slight loss so your London Live must have been on edge. Having said that your other signals must be near the edge as well and dropped over for a time.

I still suggest you try removing the filter and see what happens.

Your picture of half your aerial does not help. Any sign of 4G filtering will be at the very front which is not shown.

Do you know which transmitter you are pointed at? You should be able to work it out from the stored channel numbers (not the station numbers like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc, but the frequency channel, 21-68 (61-69 now 4G).

4G interference is caused not only by the transmitters, but from your phones too, as they send data to the mast.

I have seen several 4G issues, but mainly where the analogue RF output of devices such as VCRs and SKY boxes have been set to the 60+ range, which is typical. Transmitters now no longer transmit above channel 60, it is just consumer devices that do.

It may not be your aerial receiving the interference, it could be your coax, joints etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back