Testing a Thermistor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way in your opinions to test them?

I test them with resistance, with power off and lead(s) removed - and look for a stable reading (when cold) within calibration range as per chart - is there a better way to test for a faulty thermistor?

Sponsored Links
The problem with thermistors is that although they meter out OK at one temperature they go unstable as the temperature rises which makes an acurate test very difficult! IMHO ;)

thankls for your help

what's the best way to test/check a thermistor when hot? Any good ways in your opinions?

Sponsored Links
There are two tests which can/should be done.

A static resistance measurement with the device isolated repeated at at least two temperatures, typically at 20 C and 80 C to ensure it is correctly responding to changes in temperature.

However, that test does not always identify faults. The most common fault after just being open circuit is for it to only go open circuit at a higher temperature.

The boiler control circuit applies a voltage through a series resistance and so its possible to measure that voltage as the boiler is operating. That will indicate if the thermister is not correctly responding. As the temperature increases the voltage across the thermistor will fall. Sudden changes in the voltage indicates a possible thermistor fault.

Tony

Thanks for your help I appreciate it a lot.

Here's another one for you experienced breakdown guys:

what are the most common thermistor faults you find - I have had hot water from a combi running cold, hot water running hot then cold etc and temperatures getting so hot and staying too hot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back