Testing and certificates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

When I bought my house several years ago I noticed it had a fairly new electric shower and consumer unit. The one with RCD's rather than fuses. I didn't think anything of it.

I'm now looking to sell my home and after looking on the internet on a totally different matter I came across info regarding electrical testing and certificates etc.

I am now concerned that my house has had a new electric shower and consumer unit installed but I have no certificates or test results.

To satisfy any future buyer, and me while I'm still here, can I get the consumer unit and shower retrospectively checked and signed off OK and in the process have the whole house tested?

Many Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
Yes,
You need to ask for an Electrical Installation Condition Report.

Find an electrician who is competent in Inspection and Testing.

If the shower and consumer unit were installed after January 2005 then the work should have been notified to the local authority.
This has been a legal requirement since the introduction of building Regualtions Part P.
Info at //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

Thanks for your reply. Assuming the worst, and the shower and Consumer Unit wasn't notified, what are my options?

Will the qualified electrician be able to inspect, test and notify the local authority?

Many Thanks

James

He can inspect and test but cannot notify if he was not the installer. In the theoretical world of rules and regulations somebody somewhere should have done something and done it right. In the real world, the one with fallible human beings in it, the local authority computer doesn't care about being notified - if you can show your buyer's solicitor a certificate and blame the previous owner for lost paperwork, real world people will be happy. When you bought the place, your solicitor was obviously happy with whatever answers were given ....

PJ

Sponsored Links
jamesmjf, you can have an electrical installation conditional report made on your installation, this will proof whether or not your system and parts of it are safe for continued use. This would normally satisfy the needs of most house buyers and owners. It is not the same as notification, if you did want to know whether it had been notified, your best place to find that info, is your local building control office (LABC)
Just out of interest, what are the core colours of the live conductors of your installation?
Are they red and black?
Brown and blue?
or mixture of the two sets?

jamesmjf, you can have an electrical installation conditional report made on your installation, this will proof whether or not your system and parts of it are safe for continued use. This would normally satisfy the needs of most house buyers and owners.
But there's no point having one done pro-actively. Wait until a serious buyer demands one before paying for one.

if you did want to know whether it had been notified, your best place to find that info, is your local building control office (LABC)
No, your best bet is not to know, not to ask.

It might have been done before Jan 2005 (it may have old or new colours too) .
I think a lot of electrics were done in the last week of Dec 2004 at least 5 years worth! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back