Testing/checking wiring first fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me how to test the wiring in a new property, first fix, before covering it with the plasterboard and finding out that something needs to be changed after doing the job and installing all the fittings? The final test will be done by a registered electrician to obtain a certificate

Sponsored Links
I could tell you how, but its somewhat unlikely that you'd have the kit to do it! :( could do a visual inspection though, if you can see the cable runs, you can see any damage, etc

And are building control and your electrician happy with how things are set to happen... I expect you'll be using the three part EIC with your paw print for design and construction parts?

This electrician is happy to tick the box stating that all cables are within appropriate wiring zones without seeing for him/herself?

I wouldn't.

First reply:
The testing is really for correct connections, wires used, etc., not for damage as it is new.

Second reply:
In that case, should the test person be asked to inspect the wiring at first fix stage?
Does the certificate include inspection of wiring installation as well as testing for performance?

Sponsored Links
What tests can you do before second fix? None to be honest. Not unless you spend hours and hours testing each length of cable you put in.

I think the main thing to worry about is weather you have missed anything.

Interlinked Smokes.
2 Way Wwitching.
Room Stat.
Door Bell.
Main Eq Bonding.

The main thing to do before plastering and boarding is to visually check everything, and make sure it is done to the regs. If you can't verify this, a meter is not going to help you.

The testing is really for correct connections, wires used, etc., not for damage as it is new.
As Lectrician said, you can't really do this. I guess you could for dedicated radials, e.g. shower, cooker, but there isn't much point. "Correct connections"? - there aren't any at 1st fix...

In that case, should the test person be asked to inspect the wiring at first fix stage?
Of course.

Does the certificate include inspection of wiring installation as well as testing for performance?
Of course.

Did you notify LABC before you started this work?

If so, what did you tell them you'd be doing in order to comply with Part P?

Are you getting this electrician in at their behest?

Have you found an electrician to come and do the testing? What has he agreed to do? Or are you just assuming that you'll be able to find one? Do you know what he will, and much more importantly won't be able to do in terms of issuing certificates when he does come?

The final test will be done by a registered electrician to obtain a certificate
You see, I have a horrible feeling that you don't know how notification, and certifying compliance with the Building Regulations, actually works...

You see, I have a horrible feeling that you don't know how notification, and certifying compliance with the Building Regulations, actually works...

Don't panic! both Building Control and the NHBC are aware and have seen the installation, I believe they think it is OK but they want the test person to sign it off. I just thought I could save some time and trouble by doing some initial checking/testing

"Correct connections"? - there aren't any at 1st fix...
Junction boxes, connection to meter, connections in CU... [/quote]

None of that is first fix. I certainly hope you have no joint boxes ona first fix either!

Tails to meter will be at second fix. If you have a temp board in place connected to the meter, this should have already been tested and certed, and IS second fixed ;)

CU is also classed as a second fix.

First fix is the cables and back boxes installed into an empty building shell prior to plasterboarding, rendering, skimming, etc etc etc.

Don't panic! both Building Control and the NHBC are aware and have seen the installation, I believe they think it is OK but they want the test person to sign it off.
Tell them to get stuffed - you've paid them a fee - it's their job to inspect and test, and there is no way you should be paying someone to do that yourself.

Tell them to get stuffed - you've paid them a fee - it's their job to inspect and test, and there is no way you should be paying someone to do that yourself.

That is exactly what I thought when they told me. I guess I will tell them.

Don't panic! both Building Control and the NHBC are aware and have seen the installation, I believe they think it is OK but they want the test person to sign it off.

I find it difficult to believe that your LABC doesn't know its responsibilities in this straightforward situation. Has someone from the LABC actually been to the site and inspected your work?

They try this on all the time. People have even posted here copies of invoices from councils for testing & inspecting.

When pushed, they admit a "clerical error".

Rip-off merchants, all of them who take this line.

I find it difficult to believe that your LABC doesn't know its responsibilities in this straightforward situation. Has someone from the LABC actually been to the site and inspected your work?

Yes, both the NHBC and LABC have been to inspect the 1st fix stage but they both are always the same bloke who inspects everything from foundations to electrical installation. The guy from the Council said to me "Like you, I don't know anything about electrics" (well I know a bit at least). The guy from the NHBC was not aware of the more recent changes about zoning for wiring

So yes, why am I paying them then?

Because you have to.

Didn't know the NHBC took any interest in self-builds. How much are you paying them? What's in it for you?

As for LABC, unless you really need the inspector to be your friend, it may be time to start getting tough. I assume that you don't have the necessary test equipment to test the installation yourself, so you are going to need someone to do that, and if it looks like they are shaping up not to ....

Just to re-inforce what BAS says --

If LABC do not have the skills, training, knowledge or equipment to do the tests, then it is up to THEM and THEIR expense to sub-contract the work to someone who does.

Lots of info on this and references to the relevant govenment publications, circulars letters etc, in the Wiki.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back