Testing equipment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am in the proccess of re training as a domestic installer and was hoping you guys can give me a litle advice.

While i am training i have been asked by a family freind to replace some front of sockets and lighting fittings etc. i am only replacing the fronts and not adding any new wiring etc.

What i would like to know is what tests should i be doing and what equipment would i need to do these tests, i want to do it best practise to get me in to good habits for when i do part p etc.

Thanks for your time.

Ricky

Sponsored Links
MEIW cert calls for...

cpc continuity = low ohms meter

IR for L/N, L/E, N/E = Insulation Resistance Meter ( usually includes a low ohms scale for continuity / R1+R2 readings )

EFLI = EFLI meter

polarity = sockit and see ;)

RCD operation = RCD tester

Every thing Col says!!!

You should consider getting a Multifunctional tester for when you're ready to hit the tools.

I have a spare for sale, needs calabration but is working absolutely fine, look in my profile and message if you're interested. Megger MFT1502

Every thing Col says!!!

You should consider getting a Multifunctional tester for when you're ready to hit the tools.

I have a spare for sale, needs calabration but is working absolutely fine, look in my profile and message if you're interested. Megger MFT1502

problem with a MFT is that you drop one, you've lost the lot and need to splash out another £600 ish to get a new one..

seperate units take up more space and will cost more initially, but if you drop one then you only have to splash out for the one you broke..

Sponsored Links
You don't actually have to use a MEIWC for replacing items such as socket fronts, as a maintanance activity no certificate is required.
You still need to satisfy yourself that your own work is safe i.e. by ensuring the replacement is suitable, correctly connected and if required, it is adequately earthed.

A MEIWC can be used for replacements if someone is demanding a certificate.

Thats why I always hang mine round my neck, unless i'm absolutely certain in aint gonna fall!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back