testing for earth faults

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hy all, how do i test for earth faults. I have a very good quality tester which will test volts amps and continuity. Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
I have a problem with a gas cooker. The fuse in the plug keeps blowing. I have tested all that i can and was wondering how i would go about testing earth faults on this cooker and other electrical items in general. Thanks

Does the cooker have any digital electronics in it such as a clock? What does the power control on the cooker? Has the flex been damaged? Is there a particular activity that causes it to blow? Any burning smells from it (not the food!!)?

Sponsored Links
Yep there is a clock which works fine, The problem is when i try to switch the oven or grill on it blows the fuse. it has worked fine for years untill now. I have tested the socket to which i plug it into and there is 240v there, i pluged in the cooker and tested the flex connections and there is 240v there. I figured that the ignition spark is the problem so disconnected the ignition wires but when i switch on the oven or grill it still blows. I removed the front facia and there are two switches for both controls. A red wire links both controls but does'nt go any where else,, when i disconnected this from the oven switch the oven would ignite without blowing the fuse but the grill still blew the fuse. I have found a wire in poor condition which is the ignition wire to the oven. I haven't done anything with that yet as the fuse blew still with the ignition disconnected. I have ran out of fuses until tomorrow so thought i would seek advice in the meantime. Thanks

Not really best practice using multiple fuses. Do you have a wiring diagram? It may be an earth fault but may equally be a short between live and neutral.

there is a diagram, should i take some pictures to show you. Would you have time to take a look. Thanks

it sounds like your multifunction switch has shorted this is very common
if you can look inside you will see a 12 to 24 pin box with wires coming in and out of it check for a burnt connection and replace whole unit if damaged

i have taken the case apart and have no 12-24 pin box, there is a spark generator,solenoid, 4 microswithes. change over thermostat,daristor what ever that is and oven door micro switch and clock with minute minder but no 12 0r 24 pin box.Any ideas???

taylortwocities.
I apologise but was unable to locate that post. Thanks for letting me know

Bet you've got a blow light bulb in the oven that's cooker itself, or the lamp holder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back