Testing night storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed some Dimplex 2.5 Kw slimline storage heaters, the wiring having being done already.

I'd like to test the heaters during the peak period - can I just wire up a plug to the heater cord and plug it in?

I'm working on the basis of I = P/V = 2500/230 = 10.87A.

Is there any other factor to consider before I go ahead and do this?

Sponsored Links
sounds ok.
is there a socket next to the heaters to use ?
if you are going to use an extension lead, check its' rating, many are rated at 5A or 10A
i presume you are just going to test them for a short while to make sure they work.
hope this helps

Make sure you unwind this extension reel fully, or you'll have a second heater...

Sponsored Links
I don't see the benefit of testing them like this??

If you can 'see' the elements resistance at the CU, have tested your R1+R2, your plane sailing.....

Surely it's boats that you sail?

Planes you fly. Even if they are what the Americans call sailplanes.

Although both may be operated by someone called a pilot.

And some boats do spend more time in the air than in the water when travelling at full speed.

;) :) :D

Lectrician said:
I don't see the benefit of testing them like this??

If you can 'see' the elements resistance at the CU, have tested your R1+R2, your plane sailing.....

Me neither, have fitted loads over the years and never felt the need for energising, you will find out soon enough if the are not working.

ban-all-sheds said:
Surely it's boats that you sail?

Planes you fly. Even if they are what the Americans call sailplanes.

Although both may be operated by someone called a pilot.

And some boats do spend more time in the air than in the water when travelling at full speed.

;) :) :D

Good to see your sense of humour is on form so early ;)

crystal ball said:
Care to elaborate
The appliances are in a rented flat, about 13 miles from where I live. The flat is unoccupied, with tenants moving in next week. I needed to get the work done today, and didn't want to have to go back again, especially in t' middle of t' night.

So, I bought one of these from RS components, did the necessary with all the heaters, and then was able to test them to my satisfaction.

This way, if any of them doesn't work next week, I know that it's nothing I've done, and the wrong person won't get called out :D

Let me see if I've got this straight.

You are unqualified.

You don't have proper test equipment.

You're carrying out notifiable work on a property that you will be letting to tenants.

ban-all-sheds said:
Let me see if I've got this straight.
OK.

ban-all-sheds said:
You are unqualified.
I've never hidden that fact.

ban-all-sheds said:
You don't have proper test equipment.
Correct, but this is getting tedious.

ban-all-sheds said:
You're carrying out notifiable work on a property that you will be letting to tenants.
I disagree - please feel free to be specific. In the meantime, although it's not relevant to anything, it isn't my property, and I'm not going to be letting it.

Is this your thing b-a-s? You look for topics on which you can point out the bl**din obvious? If you wanna say something then how's about being direct about it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back