Testing of exposed RCD.

Tch, don'tcha know?

A New 17th Edition Type RCD is one clad in metal.

:sneaky:

Sponsored Links
Any moden DP Wylex board RCD manufactured after 2007 will do fine - but NOT an RCBO.

Sorry everyone for the late reply, site did not email me after I first replied.

Originally (not shown in the video) I had the RCD wired like below:

But as has already been said the bypass switch did not divert enough current away from the RCD to trip it as the impedance through the RCD must have been a significantly lower than the "Bypass Switch".

The problem is that the light is staying on then ?

Maybe the pole of the RCD you are using is staying closed? The obvious answer. Can you check continuity.

As said above, the bypass switch did not let enough current bypass the line conductor in the RCD, and so it did not trip and the light stayed on of course.

BTW; To trip the RCD for the video, I simply used the arrangement below:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
... As said above, the bypass switch did not let enough current bypass the line conductor in the RCD, and so it did not trip and the light stayed on of course. .... BTW; To trip the RCD for the video, I simply used the arrangement below:
The only difference between your two arrangements is that in the first case (with 'bypass switch') the load current went through the N side of the RCD but not the L side, whereas in the second case the (same) load current went through the L side of the RCD but not through the N side. However, the current imbalance should be the same in the two cases, so I don't really understand why one arrangement tripped the RCD bit the other didn't.

Kind Regards, John

Any moden DP Wylex board RCD manufactured after 2007 will do fine - but NOT an RCBO.
I can't say that I have ever seen an RCD (as opposed to an enclosure) which was 'clad in metal'. Am I missing something?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back