Testing the gas pressure at meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dont know if this topic is allowed. But mods i understand if you would prefer people didnt ask for any advice regarding gas because of the risks it can pose and lock this topic. I also know it is ultimately my own responsibility whether i go ahead with any advice given.

Yesterday i capped a gas pipe and everything has gone well. But someone did mention testing the tightness and gas pipe pressure etc. As i understand it this is done using a manometer? Below are a couple of pics of my meter.

View media item 9307 View media item 9308 View media item 9309
If anyone could advise how i carry this test out and using which equipment? And is it safe to do this test? There is a brass bolt on the meter pipe towards the bottom right on the second pic. Do i unscrew this to attach a meter here? By the way what is the metal dome called on the third pic and what does it do? thanks

Sponsored Links
I would leave it to an RGI. Only minimum call out to do this and be safe and legal.

I second Dave, by time you've bought all the necessary kit you would have near paid for a RGI to do the test, and then you will be certain there's no leaks and its all safe! Metal dome is a pressure regulator, it and everything up to and including the meter is National Grid's responsibility.

Sponsored Links
To legally work on gas you have to be deemed as competant. By asking this question you are showing a lack of competancy and the advise is to get omeone in who is to test it

This is a joke correct?

Only i believe it's illegal to work on gas pipe work without being competant (including your own house system). Just asking how to carry out a gas tightness test says all we need to know........

Please, if ya wanna kill yourself fine, throw yourself under a bus.....but don't take your kids with you....or an innocent passerby.....now let me check if it's april 1st......

Firstly, you are correct, working on any gas pipe (in your home) is not allowed unless you are deemed; "competent," under the relevant gas regs and other legislation. I hope you live alone so you only kill yourself! The money you will spend on the wrong tools would be better spent on employing a RGI who would do the work correctly! The work you have already done is deemed to be illegal and unsafe, please knock on your neighbours door and tell them their house might blow up! :rolleyes:

Of course, despite all the above comments the OP is still likely to do this.

Google will usually bring up the information you require if you search it using the right words.

Yesterday i capped a gas pipe and everything has gone well.

You capped it and it wasn`t leaking after you capped it then? did you use Gas ptfe on the thread or paste or nothing at all?

Idiot.

Yesterday i capped a gas pipe and everything has gone well.

If you dont know how to test for leaks then how can you think that its gone well?

Where in the west midlands do you live? (just making sure it's not too near my house)

The pipe i have capped has been soldered on. I would like to add i have done some minor plumbing work in the past and have never had a leaking pipe. Although not qualified I believe i am fairly competent.

Also I did test the new capping by putting some washing up liquid around the connection (I know there are sprays available too). It didnt bubble and there has been no smell of gas at all. So im hoping after more than 120 hours since the job was done everything has gone well. In fact it probably wouldnt take 24 hours for a problem to show up.

But i heed the warnings that have been given on here. Gas is dangerous work so even i personally wouldnt recommend anyone try it.

I am presuming that the meter was removed during the capping off adventure? or did you not do that also.....? get a RGI in to check it all out asap.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back