Texecom Connect and Future

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently came across the Texecom connect page - looks like exactly what i might be after

But doing a search seems like this been around for a while does anyone have an ETA on release or have installers even got access to the hub etc

I don't want to put in a system now which i have to alter drastically later. The home automation aspect is really interesting to me and was what i was looking for a system which incorporates these things

Also i notices they got comwifi module - how is the reliability on this if you have a good wifi signal

Thanks

Nadeem

Sponsored Links
No release date yet, its very overdue though. Connect will be compatable with the current Premier Elite control panels although you would need to update the firmware to V4 once its released.

ComWifi has a mixed review so far. The fixed IP (ComIP) is much better. Both use the texecom app which once again gets mixed reviews although this is set for a total overhaul once 'connect is released'.

I would recommend fitting texecom in its V3.02 state and update the firmware upon release.

com wifi is reliable if setup correctly usual wifi issues, comip is less hassle certainly.
I struggled with the com wifi initially as there was so much that wasnt being taken into account, like the pc it was setup on logging in to the comwifi so made it forget the ssid so it couldnt log in, get a good free wifi channel thats free all day long(not always so easy), assign it outside the dhcp table for the router made things a lot easier, making sure I could get good signal of the wireless router at the comwifi and good signal of the com wifi at the router.

Connect is long overdue and I wouldn't be surprised if its not released next year.

the app seems to be worst if using notification side of things and requires a complete overhaul.

The Texecom Connect app will be different in its interface and what you will be able to do on it, the notifications however I was told would be the same as they are now, initially(wouldn't change), more recently on their forum the have said they don't know if it will be the same.

However the current notifications I was told are not a priority, but are being looked at to be improved so its possible we may get the notification system changed and the connect released at similar times. Fairly sure it would make sense to get the notifications sorted properly or knock them on the head.

I have had inquiries for connect but I wont be offering it initially, although anyone that requests it will be advised that its new and may require updates to get it perfect which would be chargeable but not guaranteed, the notifications I don't offer any more, but i still install Texecom kit as its good gear.

Sponsored Links
I think by sounds of it Comwifi breaks due to a number of reasons

1) Channel hopping by wifi - really should be able to handle this as it's still same network
2) Maybe bad router or signal - say this as a techie in IT industry some of the free routers you get with broadband are ok but even in terms of broadband speed you'll never hit th max so as example my broadband router form isp was luck to get 40 mbps - same connection replaced with a router cost me 130 quid i get 70 mbps and the wifi is in larger range and more stable

Commip will be better it's wired but for someone like me whose router is at one end of house and alarm potentially other - the options are Network over mains or wifi

I watched a video one of security shows and the texecom guy said connect would be next year i.e 2017 - i've offered texecom my services to act as guinea pig and do some testing for them but they said they got beta testers

I like the idea they present especially with hub and my interest in home automation

The only thing that puts me off texecom at moment is no wireless keypad

they tend to keep it to the hard core, heavy buyers of there gear usually, just the way it is.

the panel can do home automation already has done for years, the connect is supposed to be an easier route long term and will make certain options more financially viable.

routers can be a nightmare and not all the blame is on the wifi module, I almost gave up on the wifi module but happy to use it now, installed a few without any issues straight off (however that is just asking for fate to have a go now is it not?).

Don't forget that the Texecom connect is to be released in stages/ phases, so if they stick to the original plan phase 1 would be available now and it isn't.

I know one manufacturer that promised something two Christmases ago and still not available and may never be available, so don't take any dates for granted.

t

the panel can do home automation already has done for years, the connect is supposed to be an easier route long term and will make certain options more financially viable.

Yes that was X10 - the old wired standard fro home automation the hub promises z-wave which is wireless

I know we promised new software version to customers where i work like last year and it's only begging to roll out now and thats with a module to still appear later and the online part is read only at moment - never promise unless it's ready.

It's such a shame - maybe we need the equivalent of Nest to push intruder alarm companies i.e a company which shows a new way of doing intruder alarm tech - not pretend security out of box i.e a camera and app to alert you.

no it could use the crestron protocol or simple protocol to communicate with devices via the pc com lead and or comip.

the z wave would be more affordable by the masses than say Control 4 I suspect.

The industry is changing and to be fair, the rate of change is forever increasing and it can be difficult to keep up and have system integrity. wireless has moved on a long way over the years, its been around a very long time,but its popularity is increasing dramatically.

I don't suppose anyone has any insight into whether v4 would remove the premier protocol from the elite Panels? It's what my current home automation connectivity uses. Without that I would struggle to be able to upgrade the panel.

best to ask Texecom, usually they add to rather than remove, if your using Crestron then you need to ask them the question about Crestron, I don't see any benefit for them to remove it other than space.

Cheers. Will do. It's actually a custom built integration with Vera automation, so cheaper than crestron, but built with their knowledge. I'll ask the developer, who has the signed NDA with them to check.

the panel has simple and Crestron protocols as well as its own, so I am guessing your using one of those but Crestron was the home automation protocol.

the connect 4 may have its own protocol as that has been suggested but don't have any details on it at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back