Texecom installation - assistance/confirmation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im a DIYer, and am planning on installing a new alarm system into our house. Ive previously coped with IP cctv installations etc, and am not phased by the complexities of an alarm system (famous last words before calling an installer).

What does annoy me is the installation instructions not being readily available, same issue I had with getting pricing on the avigilon CCTV gear. Though I guess other DIYers have been able to obtain these intructions?

We have recently had a large extension done, and as various rooms of the existing house were also being altered, I took the opportunity to run cables to areas where I thought I may wish to site an alarm sensor, though in hindsight I fear I may have missed a few locations, so would be reliant on wireless for some.

I have a minimum of 11 wired pir's, and when I get round to checking if I did put wires in for the others, a maximum of 13 wired.

All the cables run back to the rear hallway where I would site the control box, however like a complete prat I did not put cat 6 to this location, or indeed a telephone extension.

I would need three control panels (rear door, front door and garage).

I would need 5 contact switches for the various doors/sliding doors that could be accessed. These will have to be wireless as wiring for these was either not possible, or would have looked a chuff with the style of doors and location of them.

I would like to have the ability to connect the system to the network for smart phone access, and indeed the telephone line to dial.

I assume the wifi module sorts the network conectivity. In order to overcome the lack of telepone connection, Im thinking of pinching two unused cores from two of the wired pirs that are sited upstairs to give me four cores which I can then route back to a telephone access point that is still accessible now the decorating has been done. A bit heath robinson, but should work.

So, my list of components is as follows, anyone have any input?

1 x Premier Elite 48W control panel
2 x premier elite 8xp (for up to 16 wired pirs)
5 x premier elite Impaq contact-w
2 x LCDLP keypads (rear hall & garage)
1 x FMK/SMK keypad satin chrome (main hall)
3 x Premier Elite PA DP-w panic buttons
2 x external sounders Premier Odyssey
1 x 5pack fobs

Any comments or advice welcome :)

Do I need a PSU or does the 48w come with one? Cant seem to find this out.

Sponsored Links
there are threads on the com wifi, at the moment its relatively new and a few are issues are being raised.

all the panels have there own power.

an 8XP can handle 8 wired devices each
the 48W has 4 wired devices available in the panel

you can wire two devices into each keypad and map them to available zones

The 8XP will knock off 8 wireless zone slots per expander.

I would opt for the 48 Metal panel
1 x 32xp-W expander
8 hard wired zones on the panel
4 zones wired into the two keypads

this leaves you with 1 zone missing, if you have 13 wired and you could double up or just add either another keypad or an 8XP.

depends on where your cables run to I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

If I'd thought about it before, I'd have run cables differently.

I'd probably be able to run one sensor off the keypad in the garage and 2 on the rear hall, so the total wired would reduce to 10. Sadly cables all run from their pir location to one point.

So perhaps three devices into the keypads, four into the panel and then a single 8xp would cover all the wired needs. This would then leave enough spare wireless slots for future detectors if required.

If there are issues with the wifi module, is there a wired option? Can't seem to find one, but I've no problem in setting up a wireless bridge and plugging the panel into that. I've got a spare bridge sat doing nothing.

Sponsored Links
what panel you running that on?

The hardwired appears to be relatively issue free, aslong as you don't have anything else on the same port being used for the notifications.

Started on a 168 elite version 2.02 ? When I first put the comm IP on , app was saying to flash to latest firmware , flashed if a couple of weeks ago been no issues at all

I lose track of the firmware revisions and what was done and why, wish they put it back in wintex it was a useful tool.

Ah yes, I'll be needing to find that software, or hope that Texecom will send it me. Along with the installation manuals etc. Is this something they would do for a DIYer, or am I barking up the wrong tree to start with?

Had a brief check round last night and Ill need to add on at least a couple of wireless PIR's too, as I did manage to miss a couple of places when wiring up.

I can certainly wire up three deivices to the keypads with the current wiring. With four in the panel, and a single 8xp that would cover all the wired points.

How is the number of zones calculated when attaching these devices - am I correct in thinking that any devices wired into the panel reduce the wireless capacity of the panel? therefore my number of zones would be as follows:

4 devices wired into the panel reduces the total wireless zones on the panel to 28
3 devices wired in via the keypads further reduces the wireless zones to 25
6 devices wired in on the expander does not affect wireless zones
7 wireless devices leaves 18 remaining zones.

In this case, would I be better using all 8 of the expander slots, only having one device wied into a keypad and thus leaving 20 free wireless zones. I doubt Id ever use those, but I guess its better to have and not need.

Ill be looking to order all this kit in the next week or so and get cracking on setting this up.

Ah yes, I'll be needing to find that software, or hope that Texecom will send it me. Along with the installation manuals etc. Is this something they would do for a DIYer, or am I barking up the wrong tree to start with?
The Wintex software along with the manuals for the panel should be included on a cd with the purchase of the panel, if its missing the retailer has taken it out as some online retailers charge for this CD, it is reasonably easy to find copies on the internet though.

Thanks for that.

Have I overlooked a battery too? I assume one of those does not come with the panel?

If not, any reccomended brands/suppliers for a 7ah battery for the system?

Any preferred suppliers for the parts in general?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the advice/responses so far. :)

My preferred supplier is trade only and they supply certain areas only.

The resistors are in a pack with the panel as stated, but you can just change the wiring type as suggested so you don't need to change the resistor values in the detectors themselves.

With batteries and some may disagree with me its about value for the battery you buy rather than what battery you do buy.

Yuasa and Yucel are good, I would buy everything for the same place as it makes life easier.

I knew this would bemore complex than I thought. Apologies for another couple of questions:

do the external sounders count against the "zones". I.e. if I have two wired sounders, do I need to account for these in addition to the wired PIRs. I assume if they are wireless I would need to account for them as part of the 32 available wireless slots (less the 8 that the 8xp knocks off).

Whats the range like on these devices individually if they arent taking full advantage of any mesh network. 1 Sounder will be on front gable of the house, the panel will be in the rear hall, probably some 20m away through half a dozen walls of the house and a floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back