Thanks and....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well just a couple of things...

First a BIG Thank You to all the helpful posters on here. I won't single out anyone in particular but thank all the regular professionals who post here.

Finally got to the stage where my bathroom is ready for tiling. Built the new stud wall, aquapanelled the shower and surrounding area, run the plumbing and finsihed all the big and small building jobs [This was a rip out and start from scratch job] Main delay has been 'er indoors choosing the tiles - If I ever see another tile shop again I think it'll be too soon!

Done a fair bit of DIY over the years and have done a fair bit of tiling. However, that was before I found this site and all its invaluable advice.

Fair to say my tiling basics were up to scratch but there are lots of things I've done in the past which I now know not to do again thanks to the help and advice on here.

Worst faux pas in the past has been using ready-mixed adhesive and grout in a tub [shock, horror!] although, in my defence, none of my tiles has ever fallen off or tented nor have I had any leaks behind. Lucky I guess.

Anyhow, so much for the THANK YOU. Now for some more advice;

Will be tiling with large [25 x 33.5] ceramic tiles. Haven't got any issue with cutting or laying out but I want to clarify the best way to go adhesive and grout wise.

Have read all the sticky and the various previous postings on the subject but need to clarify;

Was intending to use BAL ready-mixed adhesive then a powdered BAL grout.

However, variety of opinions on using ready-mix [even BAL] and seems that a powdered adhesive is recommended. Reason I wanted to use a decent ready-mix adhesive was wastage. Having not used a powdered wall tile before [have used powdered floor tile adhesive but can tile faster with floors because of the large plain areas], I am a bit concerned about mixing too much at once which then goes off before I can use it all. Do that a few times and the cost goes up! More wastage - more outlay for adhesive.

So I suppose the basic questions are;

(1) Is BAL good enough? [few differing opinions on here]

(2) Should I go for the powdered or use BAL ready-mix??

(3) If powder, any tips//tricks to minimise wastage.

Again, many many thanks to you all for your ongoing excellent advice.

Sponsored Links
If you're not comfortable using a powdered adhesive, then just go with a decent pre-mixed. That size of tile is about as big as you want to go with pre-mixed - any bigger and powdered would be recommended. Bal do a Blue Star and a White Star that are very good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back