Thanks

J

johnsville

Recently I posted asking about a problem I had.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=272147&start=0

After three pages a solution was reached by splitting a ring and using the two cables as radial circuits with their own mcb's at the CU. This was done and works very well. It saved a lot of time and disruption and expense. Thanks to all who were positive in the thread. :) Unfortunately a few were very negative, but made up for by those who could think things through and ask proper questions.

Once again thanks.

PS
I read here that only one spur can be taken off one 32A ring. I see many 13A fused spurs above worktops in kitchens supplying many appliances. Would anyone care to clarify?

Sponsored Links
I read here that only one spur can be taken off one 32A ring. I see many 13A fused spurs above worktops in kitchens supplying many appliances. Would anyone care to clarify?

You must have read wrong,then.

You can have one spur from any socket on the ring so if you had 20 sockets, you could have a spur off each (20 spurs) - not good engineering though, much better to extend the ring if several new sockets/fcus are required.

PS, don't forget to use the
button on your other topic.

Thanks. I hit the button as well. :)

That is clear enough. Can a j box be fitted in the ring and one 2.5mm cable run to a socket? OK this is not off a "socket", but still a spur off the ring.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately a few were very negative
If you asked a question, the correct answer to which was "No", then that was indeed a negative answer. But if the answer you wanted was "Yes", you got bent out of shape about it.

If you made an assertion which was incorrect, and you were told it was incorrect, then that was indeed a negative response. But if you wanted what you had asserted to be correct, you got bent out of shape about it.

You can't expect people to not give negative answers just because you wrongly only want positive ones.

No, you can as many as you like, but only one single or twin socket per jb.
It's a commonly-seen assertion that there should be only one spur arising from a socket or jb, but do the regs actually say that (and, if so, where?)?

IF one could fit all the cables into the accessorfy and IF one could find a socket or jb rated for 4 conductors per terminal (may be difficult or imposible with sockets), I can't really see any fundamental objection, provided the total ratio of spurs to sockets doesn't exceed the OSG guideline of 1:1. After all, in terms of 'where the ring is loaded', it would not be materially different from having spurs arising from each of two sockets or jbs which were only a few inches apart.

Having said all that, I do agree that it's not a very desirable practice, primarily because of the problem of fitting in all the cables - but (as with many of these assertions we see) I'd be interested to clarify the situation regarding the regs.

Kind Regards, John.

To the OP post.
You may get differing answers ( BAS was almost there). But thats because it is a forum, you may not like all. Or the tone, bad luck, you asked.
Answers may differ, some know more than others. Generally we all learn from an "extended debate".

So your bad " kin hate that saying" for not understanding.

But TY for coming back with a TY, even if it was to ask another quest :p

In kitchens it is common practise to run a ring via several Switched Fused Connection Units, and describe the outlet from each SFCU as a fused spur. As each SFCU is connected at a different point along the ring, and each spur is fused down at it's source, the SFCU, the design meets or exceeds the criteria above.

The above design is a different kettle of fish to a design incorporating multiple unfused spurs off a ring.

I would echo that each joint in a cable is a fault liability, so eliminating unnecessary JBs, and running any spurs from existing accessories is better practise wherever possible. I don't think anyone has ever designed a 'pretty' JB, so there will always be a temptation to conceal them, turning the installation into a maintenance nightmare.

To the OP post.
You may get differing answers ( BAS was almost there). But thats because it is a forum, you may not like all. Or the tone, bad luck, you asked.
Answers may differ, some know more than others. Generally we all learn from an "extended debate".

So your bad " kin hate that saying" for not understanding.

But TY for coming back with a TY, even if it was to ask another quest :p

I understood everything that was written here :)

Unfortunately a few were very negative
If you asked a question, the correct answer to which was "No", then that was indeed a negative answer. But if the answer you wanted was "Yes", you got bent out of shape about it.

If you made an assertion which was incorrect, and you were told it was incorrect, then that was indeed a negative response. But if you wanted what you had asserted to be correct, you got bent out of shape about it.

You can't expect people to not give negative answers just because you wrongly only want positive ones.

It's not the no that's the issue, it's the way it's said.

You are the number 1 for coming over as rude / antsy / blunt (add in any one of a few 100 'negative' adjectives).

Communicating is a skill, and the majority of your answers may have correct content, but do lack tact / softness and being blunt is simply rude. Being consistently blunt creates a online persona that you could take lessons in charm from Victor Meldrew :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back