That stupid Kid Rock song

• Thread starter Soggy_weetabix
  • Start date
S

Soggy_weetabix

If you have had the misfortune to hear the carptastic pop song "All Summer Long" by Kid Rock, you will know what I am going on about, if you haven't then consider yourself lucky.

I've written to my local radio station, who are normally pretty good, asking them to remove this rubbish but apparently it is the station's most requested song, and has been for some time.

This is why I find this song more offensive than usual.

1 - It rips off a riff of “Sweet Home Alabama” and “Werewolves of London” which is just lazy/annoying. If you want to do a cover version, fair enough, but passing of someone else's work as your own, naughty. Even the title is a rip off of Beach Boys Album and track.

2 - He goes on about North Michigan, which is about a thousand miles from Alabama. It’s like saying that “London’s Burning” by the Clash reminds me of Rome.

3 - He imaginatively rhymes “things” with “things” in the chorus:

“And we were trying different things
We were smoking funny things”

If that is not the laziest and lamest rhyme ever in the history of pop music, I don’t know what is. It makes Chris De Burgh’s rhyme of “dance” and “romance” in “Lady in Red” seem like lyrical genius. Plus you shouldn't start a sentence with a conjunction.

4 - If aged 18 you are still “trying different things”, you really have had a sheltered life and shouldn’t be bragging about your lack of life experience at the age of 37.

5 - What the hell is “smoking funny things”? Presumably he means cannabis, but the only person who would call a joint a “funny thing” would be someone who is embarrassed about having the odd smoke and doesn't want his mum to find out. Smoking a clown's shoe or a rubber chicken is a "funny thing". This man has sold over 25 million records, can’t he come up with a better chorus?

How about:

“I was sh*gging a banana,
We were smoking marijuana”

I’m a gas man and I came up with a better chorus opener than Mr. Rock, I must be in the wrong game.

6 - He states “Now nothing seems as strange as when the leaves began to change”. Kid Rock was born in January1971, so in the summer of 1989 he was 18 years old. Surely by that time you have managed to grasp the concept of autumn, and what happens to leaves on the many deciduous trees in North America at that time of the year. If the strangest thing you can think of is that process then you truly are thick. The only redeeming thing about this line is that the rhyme of “strange” and “change” is slightly more imaginative than the chorus.

This song has been number one all over the world, including the UK, have the standards fallen so low?

:rolleyes:

I have more alternative chorus's but Id be interested to see if any of you have any.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Killjoy. Its an uplifting song, kind of makes up for the fact we didnt get a summer. This song lifts peoples spirits. Go away.

Glad I don't listen to commercial radio. That was utter pants.

A lesson to be learned Soggy, don't waste your time over analyzing pop music. If you look beneath the surface you will find that many of your fave tracks are basically recycled cack. Even the so called 'classics'

Sponsored Links
And they play it too ruddy loud, AND it doesn't have a tune you can whistle or tap your foot too! Give me Glen Miller or Busta Rhymes any day! ;)

What irritates me is that Lynard Skynard have now released an album (great achievement seeing as they're all dead), which is advertised on TV with the main message... "AS SAMPLED BY KID ROCK IN HIS LATEST SINGLE!!!"

One positive to this: in the past when I've heard a song with an unfamiliar sample, or a cover version, I'll want to hear the original. So at least it does mean that teens who listen to chart music are more likely to find something a little more involved too. So, expect to see lots of teeny boppers playing Lynard Skynard on their tinny mobile phone speakers as they congregate on the precinct.

It's always been going on, I've got MP3 recordings of old Edison drums, no less than 10-15 performers' versions of the most popular songs of the day. Some good, some terrible. Even in the 1800s, most popular singers couldn't write lyrics and many couldn't sing! :LOL:

If you have had the misfortune to hear the carptastic pop song "All Summer Long" by Kid Rock, you will know what I am going on about, if you haven't then consider yourself lucky.

i agree with it all soggy. the man is pants.

on kid rock:"its true he's a yank but he's no son of hank, and if you think so goddamn you're ******* dumb"

a weekend in a 5 star resort in alabama if anyone can tell me who wrote the song that's quoted from. :D

Killjoy. Its an uplifting song, kind of makes up for the fact we didnt get a summer. This song lifts peoples spirits. Go away.

On your first point Steve; I, personally (and almost all of my customers) have found our summer just fine.

2nd point young man; I have yet to see peoples spirits 'uplifted' by this song. Have you heard of the credit crunch? From the very first time I heard it I was appalled by the lack of lyrical genious usually associated with Kid Rock, and the audience it is aimed at find this song abhorrent. My 19 year old daughter literally laughs at his attempt to create a 'rock' song.

Thanks Nickso for seeing this song for what it is.

Hopefully Take that and the Spice Girls will rock your boat Steve.

For Nickso....... "we injected some cocaine, it messed with my brain"

Dave

or...
"we were messed up in denial..... she thought I was a peadophile"

Wow, Im the new Kid Rock :D

But can write lyrics

Rain, wind and generally under average conditions!

Its what us true Brits call a fantastic summer! Who needs hot, sweaty summer weather!

If you want that, move to Dubai. Seeing as we live (very closly) on the same longitude (or latitude as my geography is poor) as Winnipeg, Ill take our weather any day!

Dave

I can't stand it either.

It was on the radio (wireless for our older viewers) yesterday morning. I changed stations of course, only to find this stupid song on TWO other stations :evil:

I like Take That. Where does that leave me?

I can't stand it either.

It was on the radio (wireless for our older viewers) yesterday morning. I changed stations of course, only to find this stupid song on TWO other stations :evil:

I like Take That. Where does that leave me?

Like me I guess.

Appreciate bad music and appreciate less than bad music! :D

Cheap dig to Steve in my part. Note to myself: "David... GROW UP and dont lower yourself to a teenagars level)

Dave

I like the Kid Rock song and make no apologies...

I dont like the Kid Rock song and make no apologies. Please explain why ninebob, you like the song so much. I have explained why I dislike it.

David

Sponsored Links
Back