The Aquarius.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Further to the closed thread on this subject, I now learn that it is the sole purpose of this ship is to 'rescue' migrants and bring them to Europe.
So, apparently there is no atempt to nor intention of returning the people to Libya.

They have even complained that the long trip to Spain prevented them from 'rescuing' more.
It would indeed appear to be just a free taxi.

Whether that is a laudible or foolish enterprise depends, I suppose, on your point of view.
It can though do nothing to discourage more from trying to make the trip.

Sponsored Links
Further to the closed thread on this subject, I now learn that it is the sole purpose of this ship is to 'rescue' migrants and bring them to Europe.
So, apparently there is no atempt to nor intention of returning the people to Libya.

They have even complained that the long trip to Spain prevented them from 'rescuing' more.

Whether that is a laudible or foolish enterprise depends, I suppose, on your point of view.

We need to discourage it. Save these people and then send them back to Africa or their transit point. But we do it humanely.

This can be solved.

But...... I am supposed to be a liberal.

Sponsored Links
Collect them, provide food and shelter and medical treatment then some money and back to where they came. Also to take their ID in the form of iris scan and finger prints.

On the news (radio)

Merkel has a problem , she needs a deal from this current EU summit over migration or her fragile coalition could end up down the toilet ?

This Shegan ?? agreement could also be under threat over this migration caper ?

Poor Merkel her policy has come back to haunt her ? Dunno how Noseall is taking it ? perhaps he is on the piste :)

perhaps that will distract attention from Theresa's failure to deliver anything more than another batch of empty promises to make up her mind "soon"

Two years and they haven't even agreed on objectives, never mind a plan. Baldrick would be ashamed.

"The prime minister, who has been under pressure at home within her own party, has called her cabinet together for what has been billed as a make-or-break meeting at Chequers on 6 July to agree the UK's blueprint for its future relations with the EU."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44636755

We need to discourage it. Save these people and then send them back to Africa or their transit point. But we do it humanely.

This can be solved.

But...... I am supposed to be a liberal.

Couldn't agree more. Especially the last sentence.

However, there are obviously plans to bring large numbers of the 3rd world to Europe, US, Canada, etc. Merkel didn't even try to hide what's going on. The politicians are creating the problem, so it will never be resolved.

Italy is saying it would help rescue women and children in distress, however most of these rescued seafarers are men ...youngish men.
The question is why not rescue them and take them back to their point of departure as you say........the rescue is such thstvthr traffickers get them out with the intention of them being 'rescued and given a lift to the EU.....it only encourages the traffickers and illegal immigrants.

Would these be illegal immigrants ?

Would these be illegal immigrants ?
That's a good point.

Had they just crossed the Med in their original traffickers' boat and landed somewhere unseen, presumably they would be - unless they made themselves known and claimed and were given asylum.

However, being picked up by this 'rescue' boat which is then allowed to dock somewhere, what status are they given? Refugee?

That's a good point.

Had they just crossed the Med in their original traffickers' boat and landed somewhere unseen, presumably they would be - unless they made themselves known and claimed and were given asylum.

However, being picked up by this 'rescue' boat which is then allowed to dock somewhere, what status are they given? Refugee?

You can't blame them .....seeing courtesy of the internet civilised Europe with its water, greenery, infrastructure and order compared with life in their own countries of course this looks like paradise and it is compared with life in their home countries. This trickle of economic migrants could turn in to a tsunami. If I were over there on the African continent the grass would look greener in Europa. It is.
It's a problem because when these migrants arrive its not as they expect, they dont suddenly have the life they see and there's frustration and anger.

You don't have to look hard to see this is true.

Last edited:
You asked if they would be illegal immigrants.

I don't think pictures on iphones have any bearing on that.

Sponsored Links
Back