the best sliding mitre saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking for a sliding mitre saw to cut architrave, 4/5 inch door lining, 6 inch skirting board, Any idea what's the best one to get as I don't understand it all.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can get any of them. They will all cut

You need to define your criteria of "best"

Was looking at the Bosch PCM 8S Sliding Mitre Saw.

Do you reckon this mitre saw would be able to cut stuff like solid wood flooring,door lining, architrave, 5 inch skirting, ect.

Thanks

As BA says, yes it will cut them, but if the corners are not 90deg you may have problems as it only tilts to 45deg and only to one side which again will do it but tilting both ways is better.

I have a DW 717XPS and that will do your skirting vertically which is better than having to lay it flat and tilt the saw

Jason

Sponsored Links
As BA says, yes it will cut them, but if the corners are not 90deg you may have problems as it only tilts to 45deg and only to one side which again will do it but tilting both ways is better.

I have a DW 717XPS and that will do your skirting vertically which is better than having to lay it flat and tilt the saw

Jason

Thanks for the reply, I had a look at the Dewalt 717XPS.

Looks like a nice saw, looks quite big, I would prefer to stand the skirting up then having to lay it down,

Just don't know if it would be a bit to mad as I only want it for a jobs around the house.

Didn't know if Dewalt or any other makes do a smaller one?

Smaller saw means you won't have the capacity to cut as much vertically.

Kickback depends on the saw, cheap one won't have softstart so will kick more that better quality saw.

J

Waaaaaaaaaaayyyy off topic, but the subject reminds me of when a bunch of us were spending new year (a big thing for us Scots) at the Morangie House Hotel, on the estate that makes Glenmorangie whisky.

Very late into the first night, and suitably "refreshed", we sauntered to the bar and demanded "Four or your BEST Glenmorangies, please!". The chap wandered off and returned with a bottle that had a price tag on it of £235.

Astonished, we said "people pay £235 for a bottle of whisky??!!??", he responded with "Naw, lad, it's £235 a glass!".
We then asked him for his very best whisky, that would come in at less than a tenner each.

One man's best is not necessarily the same as the next man's... :evil:

Very late into the first night, and suitably "refreshed", we sauntered to the bar

I'm confused

It does not seem very "Scottish" to be suitably refreshed and still be coherent enough to ask for the price of a dram of whiskey

And yet .. it seems totally Scottish :p

:LOL:

Aye, well, we were refreshed. But not too refreshed to realise the stupidity of what we were asking for.
Then the Scottish thriftiness kicked in when we realised we were going to be stung £235 per nip.

Not that it's nae worth it, ye understand. More that we didn't want to spend wir own money on it... :eek:

I've brought the Dewalt 717xps, and was just wondering if I brought another clamp to go with the one you get, could I put a clamp on the left and the right to hold the wood down to prevent the wood kicking back?

Also the blade seems quite think so when cutting do you have to allow for the saw cut?

Thanks

Just need some advice

I'm trying to cut some skirting board just under 6 inch with the dewalt 717xps mitre saw.

however when trying to cut the skirting at a 45 degree angle right cut with the skirting board standing it up the saw seems to hit the skirting board, so won't cut right through it?

zvwp3a.jpg

Have tried laying the skirting board down but the fence gets in the way for a 45 degree cut and can't seem to be able to remove the fence

Cutting left cuts are fine it's just right cuts

Any advice?

if the fence gets in the way when leaning if you further unscrew the wings the sliding back fence will come off completely you may have to position a slot in the sliding bit to allow you to release it

thats assuming i am understanding this lol :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back