The best way to join wood together

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

I am thinking about embarking on a project to make the attached picture, which is a raised vegetable patch.

The style I like involves sections made from four planks of wood adjacent to eachother, held upright by posts, if that makes sense.

I am completely new to this and am not sure whether I can join the planks and posts by screwing them together or if I need a more refined technique and possibly something beyond my capabilities.

Could help explain how I might go about this, please?

Thanks a lot

vege patch.jpg

Sponsored Links
That bed might work ok for a year or two but it'll rot pretty quickly - the minute soil comes into contact with wood it'll start the process. The thinner the timber the quicker it will go. For a longer lasting structure you could go for treated sleepers (not reclaimed ones!) or make from concrete posts and concrete gravel boards etc.

If you stick to the design you show above I would try and screw the boards to the posts from the outside - making it easier to replace if/when they rot. Alternatively you could use composite decking boards etc to make it.

Thanks a lot, that is helpful.

Sleepers are quite a bit shorter though, aren't they?

other choices are6x2"[142x 44mm] treated or scaffold boards 9x1.5"[337x38mm]both about £3-4 a metres

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back