The Burning Question - Are RCDs safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Burnt-outgarageunit.jpg

Answer: No[/img]

Sponsored Links
On photobucket, under the button that says "upload images and & videos" you'll see in brackets "(more options)"

Click on this, and set the size to 640 x 480 or 800 x 600

Sponsored Links
The unsafe thing here is the "electrician" (?) who did not tighten up the screws in the neutral bar. Only rapid way to detect that would be to fit a smoke detector in the box. Though that would be two more connection for him to mess up with.

The unsafe thing here is the "electrician" (?) who did not tighten up the screws in the neutral bar. Only rapid way to detect that would be to fit a smoke detector in the box. Though that would be two more connection for him to mess up with.

This was in a garage of a new built house, so is about 15 months old.
The owner is going to contact the builders to try and have it replaced.

C-Pak is another one to add to the list along with MCG, chint, cdi, cgd, and all those other nasty chinese 'brands' then. :confused:

An RCD is not designed to detect this sort of fault, and should not have operated.

This was in a garage of a new built house, so is about 15 months old.
The owner is going to contact the builders to try and have it replaced.

And have the rest of the installation check as well. If that very easy to access terminal was not tightened properly then how many other less accessible terminals may not be as tight as they should be.

ouch!
still look on the bright side, it only seems to have melted the board and a few inches of cables.

but i would definately have the cover off the main house board and check all the connections are tight.

And how exactly could the rcd have been responsible for the 'near fused' wire?

Don't blame the consumer unit make here - it was faulty workmanship which lead to the failure of the neutral connections - it could have happened on a Crabtree or Wylex board too! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It makes sense to tighten all the connections on the consumer unit with an insulated VDE type red screwdriver when buying a house! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It still surprises me how few electricians actually use the modulo type drivers. Is it really that much hassle to carry an extra two screwdivers that cost about a tenner?
Practically every terminal in dbs, contactors, relays and rotary isolators have them in either of the two sizes.
It's not just CK that make them, I have a Facom set which I prefer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back