The cost of labour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Yet another post.......

Wonder if some of you professionals could offer me some advice.

I'm a plumber in Leeds, who (on a regular basis) will pop to customer's homes at short notice.

Tonight (Saturday 5pm) I was called to a house to fix a leak coming through the ceiling. I arrived at the property within 20 mins of the call.

When the woman asked what my charge was I said £50 for the first hour. She was a bit taken a back and tried to barter the price upon which I started to walk away, she soon gave in. When it turned out that I couldn't solve the problem at that stage and said I'd have to be back on Monday (after purchasing the relevant parts) she expected to only be paying £50 for the labour, I told her that no plumber would charge £50 for two visits to carry out a job.

My question is how much do you think is reasonable to charge on a Saturday/Sunday/Bank Holiday?

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Mark

mod

please see item 9

Sponsored Links
I'de say £50 was more than reasonable, the only thing I would suggest is to make it clear when they ring what you charges will be.

Yeah I should have done, to be honest I susppected that I'd be bartered with when I took the call

Sponsored Links
Getting fed up of posting this, the emergency guys round here in the midlands charge £75.00 callout and £55.00 per hour plus vat plus materials,
your £50.00 is more than reasonable, I have recently just started to stipulate a minimum of £65.00 for the first hour regardless due to all the increases in legislation waste disposal etc, there is a minimum of £40.00 to empty my tranny van at the local tip whether it is full or just one bag, so if I replace a toilet a as fire or whatever it's gonna cost £40.00 plus my travelling to the tip just to dispose of it, it's not our fault everything is so expensive.

mod

please see item 9

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back