The flat upstairs is leaking water into my flat

What's the second photo a picture of? (the one called image 3) Is that wet on the pipe at the T junction?

Sponsored Links
Ignore my last. I've seen it better in one of the other photos.

Image 4 seems to show a top-down view. What is behind the wall at the bottom of the picture? Another room? Does he have a cylinder?

his flat stops there, so there's nothing there, downstairs is my new side extension.

Sponsored Links
you're sure the isolation valve is not leaking and running along the pipe? I had one that started leaking, for no apparent reason, when the floorboard above it was taken up (hammer and bolster). I surmised that it was shaken by the vibration.

they are not very reliable, unless you buy a branded one at higher price.

I see from image 5 that the screw-head is in the closed position, so maybe it is letting by and there is something open on the other side.

you're sure the isolation valve is not leaking and running along the pipe? I had one that started leaking, for no apparent reason, when the floorboard above it was taken up (hammer and bolster). I surmised that it was shaken by the vibration.

they are not very reliable, unless you buy a branded one at higher price.

Good call but I am still stumped as to where that pipe goes or comes from.

Surely there can't be a pipe inside the cavity?

it might be that the pipe was redundant, and cut off? In which case changing the isolator to a stop-end (or changing the T to an elbow) would isolate the suspect pipe.

(see my edit above)

my boiler was around that area in a shed type part of the building below, it was ripped out and I've got a new boiler and new pipework completely separate from that area, would it of been connected to that maybe?

FWIW, I am assuming that the (hep?) pipes are feeding rads (seems to be 22mm reduced at Ts to 15 for rads) Question is what the copper pipe fed/was feeding. You may be right JD that they have used an isolator instead of a stop end but why not cut the pipe shorter rather than leave it embedded in the wall? Also, why use copper when the rest is plastic? IMHO, copper is only used for the first/last bit out of the cylinder or boiler. It's a real mystery (to me at least!)

image (8).jpg

thats the ceiling down, so my as i said my boiler was around the area, it might explain it, why would my boiler be warming his radiator though, sounds like a stitch up.

I am guessing that the pipes going across from the Ts (on the left) are feeding the rad on his wall on the right (where you say it is) That would suggest that the pipework in question is part of his central heating system. Is it possible that his system was originally fed from the boiler/cylinder which you had replaced? It may be that this copper pipe and isolating valve is a remnant of the old system and is no longer used by him (or anyone) As JD says, the building work could have loosened the valve causing it to leak. Is the wall wet? is the insulation wet?

I would have a plumber take a look but, if the valve and pipe are redundant, it would be relatively straightforward to cap the assembly off.

I can only think of a disused drain cock, but it seems unlikely.

Just a thought but is there any pipe sticking out of the outside wall??

I can only think of a disused drain cock, but it seems unlikely.

Yep - that's my thought exactly hence the question to the OP. Am wondering if it was fitted as a drain off.

:)

Sponsored Links
Back