The Foo Fighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was it worth Kurt Cobain dying so The Foo Fighters could exist?

Sponsored Links
no cos the foo fighters are officially rubbish

you shouldnt play with foo, specially with so many starving people in the world.

Sponsored Links
Deluks said:
nickso said:

ohhh no they're not!

no im afraid they are.

overrated cheese rock of the highest order. shame cos i like dave grohl and genuinely think he is the best drummer this side of bonham.

nickso said:
Deluks said:
nickso said:

ohhh no they're not!

no im afraid they are.

overrated cheese rock of the highest order. shame cos i like dave grohl and genuinely think he is the best drummer this side of bonham.

Cheese rock!? What do you class bands like Aerosmith, Def Leppard and Whitesnake as then?

notb665 said:
nickso said:
Deluks said:
nickso said:

ohhh no they're not!

no im afraid they are.

Cheese rock!? What do you class bands like Aerosmith, Def Leppard and Whitesnake as then?

they are cheese rock of the ultimate order. although some of aerosmiths early stuff was good. def leppard were just a joke and whitesnake an excuse to lay easy women whilst snorting huge amounts of coke. no real musical impact at all.

in this era of all music having a "nu" status the FF are defo in the nu cheese category.

nickso said:
notb665 said:
nickso said:
Deluks said:
nickso said:

ohhh no they're not!

no im afraid they are.

they are cheese rock of the ultimate order. although some of aerosmiths early stuff was good. def leppard were just a joke and whitesnake an excuse to lay easy women whilst snorting huge amounts of coke. no real musical impact at all.

in this era of all music having a "nu" status the FF are defo in the nu cheese category.

OK. Show me another band who use: unusual chords, unusual time signatures and unusual phrase lengths and who are generally innovative. (Further explanation available if required).

notb665 said:
OK. Show me another band who use: unusual chords, unusual time signatures and unusual phrase lengths and who are generally innovative. (Further explanation available if required).

why? do the FF do any of that? it matters not to me if they do or dont. their end product is dull. they have only had a few reasonable songs in the last few albums.

queens of the stoneage are an example of what you wanted. josh homme is one of the few people doing anything interesting with a guitar these days. everyone else seems to be going through the motions.

BTW before this decends into another hate fest, im not attacking you or your musical taste. lets not forget that music is entirely personal.

nickso said:
notb665 said:

why? do the FF do any of that? it matters not to me if they do or dont. their end product is dull. they have only had a few reasonable songs in the last few albums.

queens of the stoneage are an example of what you wanted. josh homme is one of the few people doing anything interesting with a guitar these days. everyone else seems to be going through the motions.

BTW before this decends into another hate fest, im not attacking you or your musical taste. lets not forget that music is entirely personal.

Yes, the Foo Fighters do plenty of that. I agree that their last few albums are slightly off - I bought the first two which are excellent then went off them a bit. Josh Homme is a good example of an innovative guitarist, I agree. Everyone else? The only other really innovative guitarists of modern times are Graham Coxon and Johnny Greenwood.

I know you are not attacking me or my musical tastes, I never said I did like the Foo Fighters, but being a guitar teacher, I can appreciate what they do and don't do, and they do do more interesting stuff than a lot of other bands - find me another song in which the first chord is played like it is in "The Pretender", or a song which has 3 bars of 7/4 then a bar of 8/4 time in it, or an Eb chord played like an open C, or a phrase which is 3 bars long, not 4 like every other song ever. Not saying it works for me, like...

I like some of the Foo fighters stuff, but I feel the modern music press seem infatuated with them for some reason.

As for what you mention about timing etc, although they were not a guitarists band, I as a bass player, grew up with the Canadian band Rush as my mentors.

I like their phrasing, timing, sequence of chord and key changes as well.

In fact I think Maximo Park have been heavily influenced by them as well.

everything up to and including There Is Nothing Left To Lose is awesome, not so keen on the new stuff though :confused:

The Colour And The Shape is easily their best album..

Sponsored Links
Back