The Great Damp Ceiling Mystery (Chimney-Related!)

Axe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might be a bit boring, but if you've got a few minutes to spare you might be able to throw some light onto my damp ceiling mystery! This all concerns a late-1950s bungalow:

I have a strange problem with the ceiling around an old boiler chimney in the kitchen, which has been playing its silly joke on me for twelve and a half years now. I'm curious to know if this is typical of a known problem or if - as is the case with nearly every problem I ever encounter - I'm the only person in the history of mankind to experience this.

The situation is that ever since we have been here, there has been a damp patch on the ceiling in two rooms, centred on a boiler chimney in the kitchen, where it goes up through the ceiling (this chimney is built onto a dividing wall between the kitchen and sitting room, so the ceiling in both rooms is affected). The diameter of the damp patch is about three feet, complete with nice tide mark in the ceiling paintwork.

In the loft the back of the plasterboard is damp to the extent that the backing can be picked off by fingernail like wet tissue paper. It has been like this for the twelve and a half years we've been here and there is evidence of it being like it for a considerable time beforehand.

The obvious suspect would be the chimney leaking, but there was no evidence of dampness or leaks around the chimney immediately inside the roof. Nevertheless, when we swapped over to a combi boiler and got rid of the oil-fired heating we had the chimney taken down to just inside the loft. That was about seven years ago and the ceiling is still as damp today as it was twelve years ago.

Another suspect was the various plumbed pipes that run nearby, but for a good couple of years I've had plastic sheeting and tissue paper test areas laid out between the pipes and the back of the ceiling below, and they have remained dry the whole time. So, it's not the pipes, nor the roof.

I have also taken down the rest of the chimney inside the loft down to ceiling level and the brickwork was dry all the way down to the damp ceiling level.

The only other thing I could think of was if the chimney was acting as a wick and drawing moisture from the ground, right up to the ceiling. The only problem with that theory is that there appears to be no damp in the chimney at all below about two feet under the ceiling, and the lower chimney appears to be dry (the chimney design is like a pedestal, so it's only full width from about four feet upwards, with the bottom four feet being a much thinner 'pedestal' column of bricks).

So, it appears that the dampness is occurring in the ceiling around the chimney, but the source is neither above or below it, nor related to leaking pipework, which of course is absurd.

The wall in the sitting room has at some point lost part of its plaster (before we got here!), obviously due to this damp problem and was boarded over, so it suggests that the problem has been present for a very long time.

I intend to remove the rest of the chimney down to ground level, and of course remove the damp parts of the ceiling to re-board and plaster it, along with boarding and plastering the sitting room wall, but I really want to solve this mystery so I can make sure that all my work doesn't get ruined by the dampness remaining/returning.

Have any of you come across this kind of problem before? The only thing I can think of was the aforementioned wick effect, but as also mentioned, there is no sign of dampness from the ground level up to within a couple of feet of the ceiling.

Thanks for reading.

Mike

:)

Sponsored Links
Hygroscopic salts dear boy!

Some chimneys are full of it, particularly those burning fossil fuels and they attract moisture to such an extent that you are fooled into thinking it is damp from an external source.

Blimey, I didn't think of that!

Strangely enough we have another problem with the chimney breast in the sitting room (which also affects the wall in the room behind the chimney) and that is what I thought salt contamination looked like - a few shiny patches that appear on the walls occasionally.

The ceiling situation is about a thousand times worse and I never would have guessed salt contamination. That would explain why I can't see it further down where the 'pedestal' part of the chimney is as there wasn't a chimney for fossil fuel smoke to have passed through.

Anyway, thanks for your reply. Removing the chimney should do the trick then!

Mike

hydroscopic slts do not have large wet areas they are the result of dampness and drying /dampness/drying etc etc i would bet my life your lead back at rear od chimmney is holed or flashings are faulty as for damp rising up to chimmney height there is no chance rising damp above 3ft anything above 3ft is penatrating damp check your flashings and the lead back behind chimmney that is your problem

Sponsored Links
hydroscopic slts do not have large wet areas they are the result of dampness and drying /dampness/drying etc etc i would bet my life your lead back at rear od chimmney is holed or flashings are faulty as for damp rising up to chimmney height there is no chance rising damp above 3ft anything above 3ft is penatrating damp check your flashings and the lead back behind chimmney that is your problem
Have you bothered to read the O.P?

They removed the chimney to within the loft space. :rolleyes:

You seem to be clueless regards hygroscopic salts too.

Peekay, I might be wrong here but I think the salts can also be created as a consequence of burning fossil fuels. I presume it gets into the brickwork and works its way through. I might be wrong there though.

I previously presumed the salt contamination came from the sand used in the mortar, but it appears to be a lot more complicated than that!

It is very strange how it only seems to appear at ceiling level though. Maybe it's because nearly everything up to that level is covered with either tiles, gloss paint, or cosmetic boarding on the wall that has lost its plaster. The porous matt paint of the ceiling could be the moisture's first chance to show itself.

Mike

Peekay, I might be wrong here but I think the salts can also be created as a consequence of burning fossil fuels. I presume it gets into the brickwork and works its way through. I might be wrong there though.

I previously presumed the salt contamination came from the sand used in the mortar, but it appears to be a lot more complicated than that!

It is very strange how it only seems to appear at ceiling level though. Maybe it's because nearly everything up to that level is covered with either tiles, gloss paint, or cosmetic boarding on the wall that has lost its plaster. The porous matt paint of the ceiling could be the moisture's first chance to show itself.
so axe if that is case and plaster board is very damp is there a lot of salts on plasterboard salts appear as drying occurs and as grows damp again
and agin drys then salts build up carries on
the salts that appear on brickwork is not wet brick work it is again the result odf drying out that causes it have you never seen salts build up on damp patch on dampcourse well in summer more salts appear. Then in winter the damp arrives again
peekay53

Mike

so axe if that is case and plaster board is very damp is there a lot of salts on plasterboard salts appear as drying occurs and as grows damp again
and agin drys then salts build up carries on
the salts that appear on brickwork is not wet brick work it is again the result odf drying out that causes it have you never seen salts build up on damp patch on dampcourse well in summer more salts appear. Then in winter the damp arrives again
peekay53

I've no idea really. I can't really see anything that looks like salt on the plasterboard itself, either from inside the loft or on the painted ceiling surface.

In the kitchen there is an enclosed meter cupboard that uses the chimney breast as one of its sides and there is evidence of some white deposits around some cracks in the paint. I originally thought that was mould (it does smell damp), but maybe it's evidence of the salt.

Having read the suggestion I wouldn't expect there to be salts on the plasterboard itself, or at least not because it's the primary cause. Only consequential maybe?

Could it be that the plasterboard of the ceiling is the 'reservoir' and is just containing the moisture passed on by the contaminated chimney that was attracting the moisture due to its salt contamination?

Either way it looks as if I can solve this problem by removing the offending chimney and replacing the damp ceiling, so in that respect I'm happy. I'm still interested to learn a bit more about the whole subject though.

Mike

I think peekay is confusing hygroscopic salts with efflorescence. :rolleyes:

It is down to hygroscopic saturation. Peekay does not know the difference between hygroscopic salts and efflorescent salts so ignore his posts.

Okay :)

I've been thinking about the sitting room wall (the one with hardboard over the lost plaster).

If I dot and dab that wall and fit plasterboard, are the adhesive dots likely to act as a bridge and transfer the salt contamination dampness through to the new plasterboard?

The same goes for the joists. They're bound to have some contamination, so I wonder if they'll need treating, or maybe some sort of barrier fitting before the new ceiling plasterboard is nailed on.

Mike

The most severely effected flues are usually stripped back to the masonry and treated with an s.b.r./cement slurry then rendered with further additive within the render mortar.

I think peekay is confusing hygroscopic salts with efflorescence. :rolleyes:

It is down to hygroscopic saturation. Peekay does not know the difference between hygroscopic salts and efflorescent salts so ignore his posts.
You tell us the difference then.

The most severely effected flues are usually stripped back to the masonry and treated with an s.b.r./cement slurry then rendered with further additive within the render mortar.

I was hoping to work straight onto the bare bricks (or maybe treated bare bricks) with the plasterboard after I've got all the old plaster off, but if it needs a coat of something with additive in it then that's not the end of the world.

:)

I can only relay what i have read on google etc or have witnessed.

One paragraph in particular reads;

"...Salts that are hygroscopic are unlikely to form efflorescence. Salts having a greater affinity for water can pick up water from the air, and therefore at normal outdoor temperatures are unlikely to dry and form efflorescence...."

Inside an occupied house, hygroscopic salt saturated masonry will never dry out.

Yes it's a funny subject and I often wonder if anyone really knows what's going on. I've often come across a patch of damp that almost resembles oil - I guess that is the saturated salts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back