The Human Psyche

But you and I gave up, Nick. It's not impossible if we (and thousands more) do it.

Sponsored Links
That's true, Joe, but addictions defy rationality and commonsense. Why do people who know they're overweight continue to eat cake? Why did Michael Jackson continue to have plastic surgery when it was obvious to everyone else that he'd gone way beyond 'looking good'? Why do some teenage boys get addicted to joyriding, even when they've put one of their best mates in hospital?

I think it's a complex pattern of behaviour involving some kind of emotional payback and when you're dealing with emotions, logic sometimes goes out the window. Obvously, as you've pointed out, it is possible to beat addiction, but some very clever people get addicted to things so it isn't a simple question of stupidity.

That's true, Joe, but addictions defy rationality and commonsense. Why do people who know they're overweight continue to eat cake? Why did Michael Jackson continue to have plastic surgery when it was obvious to everyone else that he'd gone way beyond 'looking good'? Why do some teenage boys get addicted to joyriding, even when they've put one of their best mates in hospital?

I think it's a complex pattern of behaviour involving some kind of emotional payback and when you're dealing with emotions, logic sometimes goes out the window. Obvously, as you've pointed out, it is possible to beat addiction, but some very clever people get addicted to things so it isn't a simple question of stupidity.

Good point well made

I agree. A well thought out and reasoned answer.

Sponsored Links
But you and I gave up, Nick. It's not impossible if we (and thousands more) do it.

only one thing worse than a smoker...:rolleyes: .
It raises a subject worthy of the thread title though...Why are ex smokers and ex drinkers so smug and glib?

I have found the majority of smokers have the same personality traits and these traits run through every aspect of their life.

You actualy know the majority of smokers...wow thats a lot of smokers, and you know them all intimately (every aspect of their life)..astonishing :confused:
All this time youve spent around smokers...you should be worried about passive smoking :p

not sure what happened there, double posted somehow :confused:

I have found the majority of smokers have the same personality traits and these traits run through every aspect of their life.

You actualy know the majority of smokers...wow thats a lot of smokers, and you know them all intimately (every aspect of their life)..astonishing :confused:
All this time youve spent around smokers...you should be worried about passive smoking :p

Yes, I do know and have known a lot of smokers, more than enough. If every smoker I know and have known behaves/d in a certain way, then I will assume they all behave like that won't I?

Yes, I am indeed worried about passive smoking.

If every smoker I know and have known behaves/d in a certain way, then I will assume they all behave like that won't I?

:rolleyes: how many smokers have you realy known well? be honest...less than 10 I'd bet. Besides, if they were all on the same ward as you in broadmoor, there could be other factors ;)

i have never smoked but i do not belive they cost us money, its all boll###, 3 billion on THE N.H.S. 6 billion in taxes and thats Gorden's figurs on proffit,, then there all the shopworkers, street cleaners , painters, factory jobs . but now 2 in every 6 fags smoked are smuggle in and they still make proffit AS FOR GETTING OLD :eek: MAKE SURE DR. SHIPMAN IS NOT WAITING TO TREAT, U. or some of these po#y homes they put u in :eek: when i hit 79 i will start smoking a pipe to pi## everybody off :LOL: :LOL:

If every smoker I know and have known behaves/d in a certain way, then I will assume they all behave like that won't I?

:rolleyes: how many smokers have you realy known well? be honest...less than 10 I'd bet. Besides, if they were all on the same ward as you in broadmoor, there could be other factors ;)

I have known them enough to recognise one or two traits. I have noticed it of drivers that smoke too.

Softus";p="767135 said:

In the film 'Gigli', J-Lo plays a mainly-lesbian-who-has-had-blokes-in-the-past who this mafia-bloke called 'Gigli' (rhymes with 'really' - also a quote from the film) fancies. He reckons he can turn any lesbian because he is the best at sex. So, J-Lo lies on her back and, as he reckons he is so good, challenges him to perform cunnilinctus on her with the line "Come on, it's Turkey Time: gobble gobble".

It is an awful film and that was the worst line. It was so bad I remember a lot of it.

Sponsored Links
Back