The Koran

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of the missus's came round last night and she said that she has managed to get hold of a copy of the Koran. She was saying that her curiosity had got the better of her and she has actually started to read through it.

Now I haven't read the Koran myself and I dont intend to read the thing but she was telling me that this book does nothing but preach hate against basically everybody outside of Islam. She says it is one of the scariest books she has ever read.

Now I only have her say so about what is supposed to written in there but this isn't the first time I have heard critisism about the Koran. My memory is a little blurred but Im pretty sure I've read somewhere that the Koran has been updated/modified in the past and different versions are available? So Im left wondering, If the original text was full of hatred then how does the newer copy differ? Do you re-write a completely different testament and make it sound a lot nicer?

My main concern is why is this book allowed in this country when it preaches hate against all non muslims? Would it be acceptable to publish a book about how to punish all non-christains for example?

Just a thought :confused:

Sponsored Links
I think it's a load of boll..........er ... testaments.

Glassman said:
Now I haven't read the Koran myself and I dont intend to read the thing
If you don't read it yourself, then you have only her interpretation to go on, which may not be correct. You must have seen on this forum how some people are incapable of understanding quite simple, plain text if it doesn't fit with their existing prejudices.

My memory is a little blurred but Im pretty sure I've read somewhere that the Koran has been updated/modified in the past and different versions are available? So Im left wondering, If the original text was full of hatred then how does the newer copy differ? Do you re-write a completely different testament and make it sound a lot nicer?
It was of course written in a different language, several hundred years ago.

If the translations of the Christian Old & New Testaments are anything to go by I would not place any reliance on the text you can read being faithful to the original - read this for example.

My main concern is why is this book allowed in this country when it preaches hate against all non muslims? Would it be acceptable to publish a book about how to punish all non-christains for example?
How do you know what it preaches if you haven't read it?

You've got your friend's opinion, but I have also heard the opinions of those who know a great deal more about the Koran, and about Islam, that contradict her.

Sponsored Links
thing is any book can be re written to suit the writer/group. There are various versions of the bible around, ie the jehovahs witnesses have a different version with a different slant on things

Back