The Latest In A Long Line Of New Build Bodges.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just wonderg, what kind of checks are carried out on a new build?

Our house was built in 1999, an the number of dangerous bodges I have found on the wiring whilst preparing for the new kitchen is alarming.

1. Whilst changing a double socket front plate one of the wires in the ring came adrift in my hand, reason being that about 1m up from the socket the wires were twisted together & taped up with insulating tape to "make safe". This resulted me having to make an acess hole to allow me to make a safe joint using crimp & heastshrink.

2. Whilst re-plasterboarding an area after removing the tiles I became aware that the spur feeding the washing m/c looked suspect, the wire for the spur was actually .75mm 3core flex, so obviously I replaced this.

3. Clearly somebody had forgotten to install a socket for the dishwasher, as whilst it was out over the weekend I noticed that the wall behing the dishwasher was cracking. THis was because clearly at some point the electricians had needed to drop the wire down to the dishwasher socket, but there is a batton just above the socket for the kitchen units to attach to, so rather than pass the wire behind, they had simply bashed the plasterboard away, layed the wires over batton, then plastered over. So once again I had to do a 'proper job'.

Sponsored Links
sadly every job done in a polyfila villa is done on price, the quicker you can get it done the more you will earn, therefore quality isn't paramount. I opened up a consumer unit to connect a new circuit in a new home and it was like a birds nest in there. There was more than adequate amounts of cable there to dress it neatly :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Do remember that back then many kitchens were base spec and added to after. Even today I'd suggest that electrically the kitchen is the most played about room in every house.

Spurs, refits, more spurs- that's :rolleyes: about 75% of all kitchens :LOL:

We may all have pride in our work but back then the tall hat wearing, gun toting six shooters were everywhere.
Gangs of guys all doing it bang, bosh, next job style. Sort of explains why Part P came along.

Is the rest of the house the same standard or is it obvious that these crimes against regulation were post build and main electric job ?

I assume you were not the first occupants?

To be fair to the housebuilders, after 10 years, these bodges could be DIY.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back