The looks you get!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to have a look at a job just before xmas and after telling the homeowner that he need a new cu & upgrade of bonding he looked at me like I was bulling him!!

TT supply (lives 3 doors away from local TX - go figure!!)
Brown wylex standard (BS3036)
No RCD
No Equipotential bonding to gas or water
No supplementary bonding (it was 2007 when i looked at it!!!!)

Gave him a "Danger Electrical Installation" cert which told him that he was at risk of a fire and electric shock.

He said that it had been ok for the last 8 or so years!!! I do not expect to hear back from him!!!

Sponsored Links
Went to have a look at a job just before xmas and after telling the homeowner that he need a new cu & upgrade of bonding he looked at me like I was bulling him!!
Well, regarding the new CU you were....

Are you saying that an old wooden framed wylex standard without any RCD protection on a TT installation shouldn't be replaced??

Sponsored Links
People will spend thousands on PVC windows and new kitchens etc but tell them they need less than a grands worth of Electrical work doing and they dont want to know. Either that or want it doing as cheap as.

in terms of safety yes, in terms of law apparently not...

when we went to 17th edition seminar a bloke told us that "u test to whats safe, not to current standards or you will forever be going back"

..... not sure what new regs are brought out for if its not to raise safety but hey ..

Age old problem of our industry I'm afraid 95% of our workmanship is hidden so the end result is very little is on show - now if you're a kitchen/bathroom fitter then the visual results are obvious.

I think some customers think you can just put sockets on a wall and the electricity appears there!!!!

So should we re-wire every electrical installation in the country every time the regs change?

dont have regs .... whats it about ? lighting without CPC ?

Even if the cables are not OK, there is no legal requirement to make anyone re-wire/upgrade. The DNO may refuse to connect but that's nothing to do with 7671

I'm not sure what sort of seminar you attended but we always test and inspect to the current edition of 7671 and list the deviations to the current regs in the box provided on the test sheet.

I'm not sure what sort of seminar you attended but we always test and inspect to the current edition of 7671 and list the deviations to the current regs in the box provided on the test sheet.

ye thats what i said or was trying to :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back