1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

The old copper nail trick to kill trees....

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by numpty with a crowbar, 7 Mar 2006.

1. numpty with a crowbar

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    ... That I've seen on here.... Does it work with any tree / tree stumps?? As I've got a problem in my back garden (bought the house last sumer, just finshed the insides, now turning attention to the gardens) - there are loads of old elder (I think it's elder anyway) stumps scattered across the gaff that keep putting up loads of new shoots / branches and I want to kill them forever. I'm planning to dig down to below the soil level, cut the stumps off, drill holes in them and put in stump killer, but for good measure was wondering if copper nails will be an added safeguard - or does copper nails only work on neighbours leylandi?? :evil:

Any thoughts??

Cheers

2. JonD

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I'm not sure about copper nails but with the stumps i had i got my drill and bored some holes in the stumps directed to the centre from the top and then filled the holes with cooking salt.

Stumps are getting looser and exhibit no signs of life :)

Jon.

3. dg123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've removed the roots of a couple of elders from my garden. They don't go down very deep so a bit of digging and persuasion from a lever and they're out.

4. 2scoops0406

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Drill a hole in the stump, fill with old engine oil.

5. numpty with a crowbar

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    They seem to be everywhere though.... Bought the house last summer and been working to renovate the d*mn thing since - finally turning attention to the garden... Which in the meantime has gone wild... Everywhere I turn there are elder stumps and I'm worried there's some kind of network of the little sods across the entire garden...

Still, there's enough of them that I could try copper nails, salt, sump oil and stump killer individually and report back on the most effective :evil:

6. Thermo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    inject it with systemic weedkiller, or drill holes into it and pour the stuff in. may take a few doses but it will kill the roots eventually. dont use the stuff you buy in the sheds you need the decent stuff