The old favorite artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just been offered a job of completely skimming house that is top to toe in artex (something that i have never had to tackle before), its like standing in a magic eye painting, every wall and ceiling is covered in the damn stuff. I'm sure building should be listed as some kind of warning to future generations...anyway....

I know the topic of artex has been pretty well covered on here and as its quite deep i'm going to need to give it a of bonding coat first. My question is do i need to let this dry, pva this then the usual 2 coats of finish or skim stright over the bonding coat as i've seen suggested on some other forums?
if so do i just need one coat of multi to flatten out or 2 as normal?
cheers guys

Sponsored Links
This is what i would do, after making sure the old artex was sound. Give each ceiling/wall a coat of PVA with a roller,, then while the pva is still wet/tacky, I'd give the ceilings/walls a tight coat of bonding coat, maybe two, depending on the thickness of artex,, then i'd let it set up,, then i'd skim it over with 2 coats of multi finish. Always try to finish what you start,, on the same day. Bonding coats in the morning,, finishing coats in the afternoon,, that way, you'll have very little suction to worry about.

thanks for that, very helpfully. luckily there are more than a few very small walls there so will use this method on one or two of these first and sure i have it right rather than b*llocks up a ceiling or larger wall.

Sponsored Links
thanks for that, very helpfully. luckily there are more than a few very small walls there so will use this method on one or two of these first and sure i have it right rather than b*llocks up a ceiling or larger wall.

That's the best way, doing the smaller areas first,,, but always do the ceilings first,, in any room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back