The populist Tory party has a lie at its heart

Starmer offers no opposition, and is incapable as those who fawn over borisconi are sadly correct...

We are heading towards a one party state...

1933 all over again!

I agree. Never voted Tory, but don't have any Faith at all in the current labour party. They are in the words of Starmer himself "talking to themselves".

Sponsored Links
Labour aren’t proud of our history, labour army proud of our country.
Conservatives want to promote our country.
Corbyn wouldn’t even sing the national anthem.

The UK could be faced with a far right ( facist) regime across the channel if the garlic munchers decide to go with Le Penn
Transam exploiting every opportunity he finds for his racially motivated abuse.
When he can't find an opportunity, he manufactures one by starting his own thread.

Conservatives want to promote our country

The only thing Conservatives want is vested self interest.

Decades of neo liberal, free market policies has led to the UK owning nothing.

Train operators are French and German
Hinckley point is being built by French with Chinese finance
More and more NHS private contracts are owned by American healthcare businesses.

Brexit has put up massive trade barriers for UK businesses.

I am not sure where you think Tories are promoting this country.

Sponsored Links
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-populist-tory-party-has-a-lie-at-its-heart-lpxtds5h7

Red wall voters have warmed to Johnson but the mood will sour when they realise he can’t make their towns prosper

On this page seven years ago I reported from a by-election in a fairly desperate seaside town. Not Hartlepool but another struggling place, Clacton-on-Sea in Essex. After a depressing day there I got the tone wrong — it was too scornful — but what I said was right.

I wrote that Clacton was a slowly failing resort, an example of those parts of Britain that were going nowhere, characterised by people and businesses with nowhere to go, and many who had given up the fight. Twenty-first century Conservatism (I said) should not cast its net on the side of failure, however easy the immediate catch. Politicians, like priests, will always make their easiest converts among “the weak, the unlucky, the resentful, the fearful and the poor”. We should care for these people, of course we should, but not always for their views. I still think that.

In Clacton they were going to vote Ukip, I concluded, and indeed a few weeks later they did: a boost for those in the Conservative Party who believed that, to appeal to places like Clacton, they should move in a populist direction. They’ve done that now. The populist wing of the party is in charge.

This morning, as we survey the Tories’ breathtaking gains across the struggling parts of England, winning a by-election in another floundering seaside town, Hartlepool, we must concede that the results are not just a victory for the Conservative Party but for its populist wing. We former Tory moderates have to acknowledge this. The strategy is working for them.

Of course it’s easy to protest (and true) that Tory success in Hartlepool is partly owed to the dire state of the Labour Party. Decent and capable Sir Keir Starmer may even be tempted to give up. But in favour of what or whom? It is the Labour Party, Starmer’s boss, that’s the problem. This 20th-century relic of a party, in hock to folk memories and hulks of trade unionism, is bed-blocking that space in Britain where something new should grow; and until this sour and obsolete political beast dies, the new cannot be born. So don’t tell Labour how to adapt. It can’t. Tell it to go away.

But the new support for Boris Johnson’s gang sweeping across much of Britain really is a thing. Voters there like what the Tory party is turning into. Clacton is now one of the safest Conservative seats in Britain. In Hartlepool, a great wodge of the Tories’ new majority comes not from former Labour voters but from those who last time supported the Brexit Party. It is futile for those of us who want to be liberal Tories, and for those of us who are now former Tories, to deny that there are millions of votes to be won in the depressed parts of our country, and Johnson is winning them.

It’s futile, too — and I’m coming to terms with this — for us Boris-sceptics to dream of a silver bullet that will finish off the electorate’s attachment to this man. Nemesis must surely await? We dream of a “Gotcha!” moment. Maybe Dominic Cummings has the tape recordings? “All will be revealed!” we mutter.

Friends, we’re kidding ourselves. There’s no spray-on defeat for this man. Why do we think the voters haven’t yet cottoned on? They have. And they aren’t bothered. When you keep telling people something and they don’t seem to take any notice, it’s either because they don’t want to know or they know already and don’t care. There’s no point in holding Johnson to some moral standard to which he has never pretended. Better and perhaps more constructive to hold him to what he has pretended: that Tory government can rescue those parts of Britain that have sunk, while others have risen. It can’t, or won’t, be done.

If you add up all the Hartlepools across Britain — all the depressed towns, especially in the Midlands and the north of England and in Wales; and all the desolate high streets in all the hard-bitten urban landscapes that litter regional England; and all the struggling seaside resorts around our coasts, from Blackpool to Llandudno and from Hastings to Skegness — and then imagine yourself a Tory chancellor and ask yourself “How do we ‘level up’ these places, as we’ve promised?” answer comes there none.

You can create a few free ports — a beggar-my-neighbour way of displacing rather than creating economic activity. Yet without the sort of massive Marshall Plan the Americans could afford after the Second World War, that is only tinkering. This (or, I believe, any) Conservative government is not going to “level up” red-wall England.

That is the lie at the heart of the new, populist Tory appeal and this cabinet knows it. As your Clactons and Hartlepools, your Rotherhams, Redcars, Doncasters, Walsalls and Penzances fail to respond to what tinkering we can afford, and the levelling-up sloganising begins to sour, there will be only one recourse for a Johnson administration if it is to carry on milking support from depressed places: turn up the volume of angry populism. Sabre-rattling with the EU, punitive rhetoric on law and order, longer jail sentences, noisy anti-wokery ... and slowly the Conservative Party I joined half a century ago will become almost unrecognisable.

As disillusion in red-wall Britain grows, the Tories will turn back towards the class interest with which the party has been historically associated: back towards the achieving, entrepreneurial places and people; back towards business, towards graduates, the employed, the savers, and the more comfortably off. And when they do, they will find we have wandered away.

It will probably not be Johnson who cops it. He has a real talent for holding his audience, the electorate, by sheer force of personality and as long as he does he will distract attention from the vacuum of policy and political philosophy he has created. He has, too, a knack for getting out from under trouble, and he will, before or after the next general election. His successor will be left surveying a wasteland of a party.

In politics there is a market in optimism and a market in anxiety. The market in anxiety is the easiest to capture and this week the Conservatives consolidated their hold on the disappointed, the nostalgic and the fearful. A party has a personality and it’s derived in part from the people it pitches to. A party that pitches to the angry or the resentful soon begins to look like them. Positive or negative? The Tories can’t wear both masks. They won Hartlepool and lost London; charmed Clacton and dismayed Cambridge. Johnson may get away with it. His successors won’t.

06257E50-9BD3-4401-9679-5D2089C4D066.gif

Still not accepting what is happening right in front of your eyes then Notch.
Why do you think Labour are not a viable voting option?

So why do you think Labour are doing well in Wales but poorly in England and Scotland?

Labour vs Conservative is the 'closest-but-not-very-close' analogy to sectarianism in NI. Just as a Catholic who goes nowhere near a church 'has' to hate Proddies and vice versa, Reds in Wales have to have a disdain for Blues. It's a rule. In both countries, anyone under 50 doesn't know why, they just have to. It most certainly, in my view, doesn't run to hate in Wales, except in the minds of a few kno beds.

And... Drakey has done well with Covid: no lies, no u-turns. His opponents here have complimented his handling of it.

Finally, I don't think we have the overt right-wing thick wedge that you seem to in England. They seem to see Labour as 'likers-of-job-stealing-foreigners'.

Blame corbyn and those party member (fools) who voted him in for labours demise

Starmer inherited a poisoned chalice

Starmer has got a much bigger problem than 1st thought if people see Drakeford more charismatic than Keir,

Sponsored Links
Back