the three way valve gadget in my airing cupboard ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, After our not very good summer, i switched on our gas central heating today for the first time now it is getting colder etc. and ... guess what ..... it didnt bloody well work ...

so i called a plumber out, telling him i suspect the three way valve in the airing cupboard, i then had to go out and leave the missus to let him in, so when i back home he has been and gone leaving the heating working, now i have lovely warm radiators.

but he didnt tell the missus what he did or what was wrong, but i have a dammed good idea it WAS the thre way valve gadget (i cant think of its proper name, it is barely over a year old anyway, but he tell the missus that these valves are always playing up and give me another ring if it happens again !!!, no mention of what i owe him or anything LOL.

So i do know that i had a look at the three way valve before and after and i do know that the little black dangling black bit of plastic was in a different place after he had been, it wasnt dangling anymore it had been pushed up and was at an angle !!!.

does any of that make any sense ?, or should take a picture ?, i would have thought he could have told me what to do with it if it happens again, instead of having to call him out again.

Sponsored Links

LOL, i didnt explain very well did i, i dont think he is is going to charge me anything, he is the fella that put the 3 way valve in anyway.

I can easily ask him, i also have his mobile number so i fancy sending him a text instead.

I just thought maybe one of you chaps could give me some clues as regards the inner workings of this Valve thingy so i can avoid ME looking quite so ignorant should i have to call him again, if i knew a bit more about this valve thing i would then be able to Do It Myself ...

tim

Sponsored Links
Have a look in the FAQ's, page 2. Complex explanation from D.Hailsham on motorised valve workings. Fantastic wiring diagram here: http://www.jturnbull.net/c_heating/index.htm as to how the various paths the power takes when the system is in operation.

Apart from changing the syncron motor on some, I dont think there's much anyone can do if they're knackered other than replace the entire valve.... FWIW Honeywell are probably best on the market IMHO. Sunvic I believe have a design fault that the manufacturers wont admit to.....

Have a look in the FAQ's, page 2. Complex explanation from D.Hailsham on motorised valve workings. Fantastic wiring diagram here: http://www.jturnbull.net/c_heating/index.htm as to how the various paths the power takes when the system is in operation.

Apart from changing the syncron motor on some, I dont think there's much anyone can do if they're knackered other than replace the entire valve.... FWIW Honeywell are probably best on the market IMHO. Sunvic I believe have a design fault that the manufacturers wont admit to.....

Thanks, that's fantastic,

Tim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back