"The Vent" ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have the "Combustion Chamber" (CC) for registered Gas Safe Engineers only, so how about another forum called, say "The Vent" or "The Steam Room"?

This would be open only to members who have subscribed for a certain length of time, have made a minimum number of posts and had a minimum number of "thanks" and "likes"!

Sometimes debates get 'heated' and the constant policing by the mods is so "big brother"! There should be a space on here where the regulars are free to hurl insults at each other - if that is what is required.

I, for one, could take it and would be free to leave if I couldn't!

Funny things happen 'at' The Forum, not just "on the way" (RIP Frankie Howard) :D

Sponsored Links
There should be a space on here where the regulars are free to hurl insults at each other - if that is what is required.

Why do some regulars feel it necessary to hurl insults at each other, perhaps for this minority it is all they can find to say when challenged with a question they cannot answer.

Sponsored Links
Why do some regulars feel it necessary to hurl insults at each other, perhaps for this minority it is all they can find to say when challenged with a question they cannot answer.

And perhaps it is just because it is sometimes just a bit of fun and light relief... build it and they will come... I bet you'd be found in it BG :LOL:

All we really need is a forum where only Dan, Steel, Puller and Dilalio are allowed to post. Then ban them from the plumbing forum.

Then the rest of the DIY newbies can post stupid questions without being insulted.

And perhaps it is just because it is sometimes just a bit of fun and light relief

Sorry Dialio, but it's a sad world where people need to be abusive to get their kicks. There's a lot of people that just make disparaging remarks rather than actually teach somewhere they're going wrong, and it achieves very little.

Sorry Dialio, but it's a sad world where people need to be abusive to get their kicks. There's a lot of people that just make disparaging remarks rather than actually teach somewhere they're going wrong, and it achieves very little.

Don't be sorry @Doggit you've done nothing wrong to me!

It's not a sad world, it's just the world! Complete with the whole gamut of what it is to be human!
All of the members singled out above (+ many others), and including me, have helped many, many people on this forum.
Sometimes we get riled, and baited, and should be free to respond accordingly... however, when we do so, our posts get deleted and threads locked!
The unnecessary policing does not allow for the reputations that have been built up, by virtue of "thanks" achieved (given, that 'likes' can be from peers)... it is biased and unfair and, like I suggested, there should be "space" here that has far less censorship!

But there are those on here that just seem to lash out and put people down, and you can hear the derogatory ridiculing tone in their voices, and you can alsotell when it's just banter and fun. There are some very knowledgeable people on here (and I'll give you credit for being one of them) but this is the only site that I've been on that seem to be so full of anger and bile. I try not to respond when I get ridiculed, and ask other to play nicely, but some seem to think that is just clever not to.

As you say, we're all human, but I despair some days because of that.

To borrow one of my son's teenage phrases: "true say" which means "what you say is true" and respect to you for the above balance. This particular forum does get a hell of a lot of traffic when you compare number of posts with the other DIY-NOT forums and, from experience, plumbing seems to be one of those trades that comes with a lot of baggage... some of the comments I get from customers (via text, email, voicemail and whatsapp), because I can't get to them within the next hour, are unbelievably rude and downright offensive... I assume all us plumbers and heating engineers get them and maybe that is why some of us come here on the war-path... as do some of those, asking questions, having had bad experiences with plumbers they'd tried... and around it goes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back