There's a Rat in my Kitchen.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....what am I gonna do?
Seriously, anyone got any tips on evicting my new found furry friend?
Hairy sod appears to be nesting in the base of quite immoveable dishwasher, and coming out at night eating my spuds.
Any tips on good traps, good bait, and how stop him inviting his friends to the party, or any other rat avoidence advice much appreciated.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
get in touch with the council. they should have a guy that will be able to solve the problem fairly cheaply if not for free. He will have access to all the stuff that will work

wo wo wo woooo wo im gonna get that rat thats what im gonna do, im gonna get that rat.......etc etc sung in a ub40 sort of way! :LOL:

Are you sure it's a rat? It might be an Andelucian hamster....... called Basil. :LOL:

Seriously, take any foodstuffs out of his reach (i.e. out of the room) and once you got rid of him stop-up any holes to make sure he and his bretheren can't come back.

Scrit

Apparently rats are so abundant, its rumoured that you are never more than 10 feet away from one. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the expected Fawlty Towers lines :LOL: :LOL:
Luckily we do not have a health inspector arriving soon!

We have airbricks that are at ground level, how big a hole can a rat get though?? Depends on the size of the rat I guess!
I've read a mouse can get through a pencil sized hole.

Of to local hardware store for a couple of traps now, try my luck before calling in the Professionals :eek:

Aberlee said:
Thank you for the expected Fawlty Towers lines :LOL: :LOL:
try my luck before calling in the Professionals :eek:
Bodie and DOYLE :rolleyes:

council= waste of time, they use rat poison that kills rat, IF it eats it, when it dies you are then left with the body of a decaying rat and a smell, (since you dont know where it died) not to mention flies.

Get rat traps, not mouse traps, you may also want to see what i did about one in this post

Since the local council re-landscaped the main road about 300m from our house about 10 years ago, the place has been overrun by rats. See, the thing is, they planted thick shrubbery along both sides of the main road. Once that got established, the rats found it and enjoyed it, plenty of places to nest. There are now metal bait boxes every 50m along the pavements both sides of the shrubs, to try to get rid of the rats, but you still see them, some of them are pretty huge. Sections of the verges have now been cleared and grass planted instead, but the rats will always find somewhere to nest.

My mum had a rat a few weeks ago under her floorboards. She called the council who sent a man out the next day. She asked about the smell from the dead rat but he said that the poison they use desiccates the rat so it doesn't smell. She never heard or saw the rat after that day and the service was free.

Ah, thats interesting, I was concerned about the odour of fetid rat as well, but enough of my personal hygiene problems :oops:
I've got myself a couple of rat traps with the "hilarious" name of Big Cheese :rolleyes: , and am going to set those tonight baited with a bit of bacon and wait and see what happens............

We had some at work once, some idiot decided to put a knife down the hole, so when they come running up they would stab themselves :D

breezer said:
did it work? :LOL:

Oh yes, it worked :evil: :evil:
Got the fluffy fecker last night about 10:00pm :evil:
25cm from nose to rats-ass, plus the tail :eek: :eek:

Cheers for the advice guys, also found where it got in, so thats been stuffed with wire wool, and will be mortered over tonight, going to leave down the traps for a another couple of days, but no more sign this morning, so hopefully, job's a good un :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back