Thermal cut out testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all just wondering how you test thermal cut out devices on showers to make sure there working correctly.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you are referring to electric showers:

If it has failed, the shower won't heat up any more. This is easily confirmed by checking continuity/resistance across the cutout - it will be open circuit when failed.
There are no tests to see if it will operate when overheated, as this would involve heating it to a known temperature, which in many cases will cause the device to fail and therefore require replacement with a new one.

Hi all just wondering how you test thermal cut out devices on showers to make sure there working correctly.
do some manufacturers not provide these as a one shot wonder, therfor i would suggest trying not to overheat you device just to make sure it cuts out!!

Most manufacturers do testing to destruction in their factory.

Triton let their customers do it for them!

Sponsored Links
lol cheers lads no not intending to boil up a cuppa to test it, im just starting out and i was askd to take a look at a shower that had been installed for only a couple of days, when i got there the guy living there said he and his father inlaw had fitted it but it was only pumping out cold water i did the standard checks with the flow rate and pressure of the water checked the electrical supply commisiond it according to the manufacturers instructions but it still only ran cold not wanting to continue my career as the most useless plumber in the land thought i'd post here for some advice. :oops:

Assuming you are referring to electric showers:

If it has failed, the shower won't heat up any more. This is easily confirmed by checking continuity/resistance across the cutout - it will be open circuit when failed.
There are no tests to see if it will operate when overheated, as this would involve heating it to a known temperature, which in many cases will cause the device to fail and therefore require replacement with a new one.

so disconnect the electrics on either side and test across? thanks for the help

Judging by his many electrical postings, I think he is a marginally better electrician than plumber!

I really dont understand why people dont want to get properly trained in just one field rather that making a mess of so many different things.

there arent that many lol and its a combination of bad advice and bad luck

it doesn't seem to matter what you train in now it doesn't seem to get too in depth no matter what it is unfortunatley :(

I think that you expect to learn experience in college.

That has never been the case.

A college course has always been meant to be taken beside an apprenticeship typical on a one day a week learning the theory.

yeah the company i did my apprentiship for wasn't big on fixing things unfortunatley more, just oh well replace it attitude unfortunatley

Why did they get you in to look at a shower thats under warranty and would be fixed free of charge ? :eek:

honestly mate once i got there i thought the exact same thing but i didn't want to ask just checkd it out then calld triton and told them it would still be under warranty the only thing i can think of is they might have thought the warranty would have been void if they had installed it incorrectly would of liked to find out what the problem with it was tho :(

Yes if it was a install error they will charge a callout.
Useally a tco will only fail on a new install if commissioned wrong on install.

What was it triton what ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back