Thermostat and TRV's knocking help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have just purchased a new build property (a flat) and I think I have a few problems:

There is no Thermostat in any of the rooms. Do I need one? I assume there should be one installed.

I have bi-directional TRV's fitted to all rads, I thought you would need one rad without a TRV?

The TRV's on the rads create a continuous knocking noise when turned to a certain position. In case of the lounge it is between setting 2-3, any ideas why this is happening?

The boiler is a Glowworm Betacom 24c, the pressure bar jumps when the TRV's creates a knocking noise. When the rads are not knocking the bar is at 2, is this normal?

If any one has any ideas or advise that would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Firstly, I would say talk to the developers, some are quite reasonable when it comes to sorting out problems.
You ought to have a room 'stat.
The radiator in the same room as the 'stat would normally not have a TRV.
I've had a few so called bi-directional TRVs knock when fitted on the returns - I always fit them on the flow, the noise may be du, in part, to the lack of/poorly adjusted by-pass.
2bar is too high when the system is cold, about 1.25 is normal - the jumping gauge will be the TRVs opening and shutting allowing the water flow through them(it) to cause pressure fluctuations.

Although bi directional cheaper one will make a noise when fitted on return so best fitted on the flow.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the reply, I will talk to them tomorrow, but I assume being so close to christmas not much will be done till the new year.

If we put a wireless thermostat in the hall (there is no rad there), can all rads have TRV's fitted?

I will turn off all the rads tomorrow to cool the boiler and see if the bar gets down to 1.25.

To check the TVR's are fitted to the flow, is that the side that heats up first?

Also what is the bypass? sorry I am new to all of this.

Thank you again for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back