Thermostat in hall suspected not to work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
Could someone tell me if this is correct?
The little thermostat box in the hall doesn't seem to be working at all, it is it right that when I turn the dial down past 10 (lowest dial setting) it makes the little click? This is telling me that the temperature must be below 10...which it cannot be!

Any help would be brill.

Sponsored Links
knob could be in the wrong position, or has it recently changed. theyre pretty cheap and simple to replace.

Hi Rob884.
Well, we have been in the house for 8 months and if I recall, it didn't work then in the tail end of last winter, and nobody has been fiddling with it.

If I wait for the heating to come on and turn the dial down so it clicks, should this turn the heating off?

Thanks.

PS: Could it be water temperature? Or is that silly?

yes it will activate motorised valve or combi, whichever you have. if its doing this atleast you know its wired up correctly.

then you can change it if you still not happy with the readings it gives.

post back if you need help fitting the new one.

rob

Sponsored Links
no the mechanical ones work using bi-metallic which adjusts to room/air temp.

Hi.
I just tried turning the thermostat down past 10 and the heater didn't seem to switch off when it clicked! I did hear however something in the airing cupboard made a noise?????

motorised valve probably. did it sound like a small motor being slowly closed. the heater could still be heating the HW

Yeah could have been Rob, it made a kinda 'Shhhhhhhhhhd' noise. Similar to to switching off a tap or something.

We do also have a back boiler with some controls on the side of it, one of which is a slider which I am not sure really does....could this also be a thermostat slider?????

yeah sounds about right, the only user control a back boiler should have is the boiler thermostat, usually a rotating dial, numbered.

your not talking about the clock?

Hello, I am still having problems with my thermostat. I have found out that it is a 'Towerstat RS', it has three wires going to it (Live, Earth & Neutral) the neon light does not work.

So to recap what the problem is:
Thermostat does not seem to work, If I turn the dial down...the click noise happens at around '10' all of the time, (When temp is hot and cold), also when I do this, a noise happens in airing cupboard??????? like something is being switched off!?!?!?!
I am still not 100 percent convinced that the thermostat isn't controlling the temperature of the water...for some bizzarre reason! Any clues?
Should I just replace the thermostat?

Thanks good people.

Hi specialbeat! I can't see the three wires being live earth and neutral as you claim.
The basic room stat is just a switch with two wires. There is no neutral. You have a live going into the stat and a switched live coming out of the stat. The third wire may well be an earth.
There is only a neutral after a load and that is why it can't be a neutral in the above example, but there are room stats that contain a minature heater and in this case there would be a neutral. In this case it would have live, switched live, neutral (and may be a fourth wire earth).
If you have a motorised valve the 'switched live' from the room stat would go to the terminal box and join to the white wire of the motorised valve. To test put neon screwdriver on terminal and turn room stat up and down, with stat up it should show live.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi Mandate.
Well I am only going by what I saw when I took the cover off of the thermostat...I would insert an image if I knew how to of the offending item. So I have quickly placed the image on a web page here, http://www.thamesvalleymusic.co.uk/thermostat.html

Yes it does seem a little weird to me too as all a thermostat really is, is a temperature switch....
Please have a look at the pic and get back to me, maybe I am wrong about the wires..probably am.
Thanks.

MANDATE said:
The basic room stat is just a switch with two wires. There is no neutral.
This is incorrect. Most basic analogue room stats require three wires to function correctly.

You have a live going into the stat and a switched live coming out of the stat. The third wire may well be an earth.
Very unlikely, and it would be very unwise to assume that it's an earth.

It's more likely to be the neutral for the compensator circuit. If you're not sure what's going on then you need to use a multimeter and/or trace the wires at the programmer end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back