Thermostat problem???

phs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had problems with my central heating, i.e. radiators upstairs only working and only luke warm at times, or sometimes none of the rads working at all. Had a friend of a friend (who is a plumber) look at it and thought to be the pump which he changed over and everything seemed to be fine, all rads working again. However, the heating would only stay on for a couple of hours then go off even though the CH controller shows it is still on. Spoke to my plumber again and he said its possibly a problem with the thermostat and was gonna come and look again, that was 4 weeks ago now, lol, and he has'nt returned any of my messages so I'm not holding out too much hope of seeing him again.
However since then I've noticed that after the heating goes off after roughly 2 hours, if I then run off some of the hot water in the tank, the boiler fires up again and the heating will come on again.
Any ideas anyone, cause its starting to become a pain in the arse.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Need a few details on the type of system to get an idea,boiler type,hot water cylinder type (Direct,indirect or something else),pumped?,motorised valve?,any work done that may have caused the problem.That type of thing.That said though it sounds like a faulty thermostat just not sure which one without your system details.

Have no idea on the type of system and other information, I am totally clueless when it comes to these things and I have no original instructions or any paperwork for it. The only markings are on the boiler which says "Potterten Netaheat Electronic" and the CH controller which says "Harp Heating". Other than that I have no idea about the rest of the details.

From the information you have given it would seem that the pump is connected through the *boiler* thermostat instead of the *room* thermostat. The pump will turn off as soon as the water in the boiler is hot enough. This is obviously not the way it should be wired.

Get it connected through the room temperature thermostat and timer. It will then turn on when the timer switch is on and the room is cool.

Sponsored Links
Thx Sam, as I said before, I am clueless when it comes to these things but that explanation sounds quite feasible to me as the guy who fitted the pump didn't seem that confident of what he was doing. Thx again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back