Thermostat wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
My 15 or so year old room thermostat has become unreliable and I've decided to update it with a digital one. I've recently had the boiler replaced and have just replaced / upgraded most of the rads.
Whilst the new (cheap) 'cect' branded thermostat has yet to arrive, I've studied the online instructions for wiring.

It says it's a two wire connection, and connect up to 'normal open' and 'common' terminals.

I've taken the front off of the existing Drayton stat to see three terminals seemingly in operation. 1. Neutral, 2. Live and 3. Call.

i'm presuming in the new digital stat 'call' becomes redundant as there is no manual switching involved?

Should I just connect neutral and live up to normal open and common respectively? Grateful for any advice.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The neutral will be the redundant wire.
Live to common and call to NO.

I'm guessing the new one is a battery operated thermostat then. At least you have full mains power available at the present thermostat which will allow you to use pretty much any unit in future.

Sponsored Links
Yes battery operated.
The existing thermostat is years old and is one of only two ancient parts in an otherwise new system. The other old part being an old Drayton flowshare 3 port valve. The motor on which I've replaced several times over the years. I'll probably replace that too, next time the motor packs up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back