thermostatic bar mixer shower valve failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why is it that in Rotherham thermostatic bar mixer valves only seem to last approx 2-3 years before going kapput? Rotherham is a medium to hard water area. Scale??? If so, is it possible to change to a standard mixer valve that is non-thermostatic. The centres are 150mm but the unions are 3/4". Are there any non thermo mixers with 150 centres that have 3/4 inch unions as opposed to the more common 1/2"? Do scale inhibitor filters really make that much difference to the longevity of these valves... the kettle is a ok and the wash mac is tootling along fine n dandy on the white washes and it only has a cold feed!!!

Sponsored Links
Wont really make much difference I wouldn't think. The issue with warm and hard water is the small machined water ways and channels that are inherent in any mixer valve be it thermostatic or manual will eventually become clogged up with scale.

Water Softener :) (it's what I plan to fit here, now I have lovely new shiny taps .

Though our showers have been fine - in leeds previously, and now in Cambs, both with very hard water. Certainly I'd consider 2-3 years unacceptable, I'd be complaining to the retailer/manufacturer. What make of shower?

Can't you just replace the cartridge, which is the bit which generally goes (or even so in some

Sponsored Links
new bar mixer £39 why fix one? 3 years thats £13/year so say 5 showers a week, so 260 showers a year thats 5p a shower

The bar mixer is a "swirl thermo". It replaced a poorly fitted and similalry kapput one (bar mixer) 18 months to 2 years ago and has a 3 year guarantee. The bath was also inadequately sealed and water was p"*^$ng all over the tiled floor so I sorted that out too.
I advised the customer that a scale inhibitor/water softener was required at the time; but he only conceded and agreed to have one fitted when I replaced the old knackered combi boiler for a nice new Vaillant... showed him the guarantee documents that insisted on a scale inhibitor (for the dwh) and agreed to my recommendation that a magnatec filter be fitted to the ch... the system was fulla sludge/haematite.
I'm concerened that my reputation may be compromised by the fact that the bar mixers (both the present and previous one) are wholly inadequate given that they are not functioning for an adeqaute length of time.
I would have recommended a non thermostatic mixer as a replacement as tiles had to be removed to sort out the hot and cold feeds, but cant remember if he definitively requested a thermo mixer!
Similarly I think that given this option I would have also recommended a PEV on the dedicated dhw/cw feeds to the non thermo mixer if he had opted for this option.
Has anyone come across a non thermo mixer with 3/4" unions 150mm centres! Yes I know that their availability is like rocking horse poo... but just on the off chance? discrete 3/4 to 15mm converters....??? without having to repeat taking off tiles to rearrange the pipes?

P.S. I didn't carry out the initial installation that needed remedial attention.....
I I it was someone called Stanislav from Gdansk!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back