Thermostatic Cartridge faulty or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I've just installed a shower with a thermostatic mixer. I made sure I followed all of the manufacture's instructions regarding hot & cold feed, incoming pressure & temp etc. The shower's temp control knob shows 38 degrees as default setting and can also go up to 45 or down to 30 degrees C.

On trying testing the shower 38 degrees feels warm, turning all the way up to 45 only feels a couple of degrees warmer and likewise all the way down to 30 only feels very slightly cooler. I'm guessing I should be getting more variance?

I checked: hot & cold filters are clean/not blocked, correct mains pressure (4 bar), hot water from Baxi Duo combi boiler correct temp.

Is there anything I've missed or could it be the Thermostatic Cartridge? The company I bought it off want me to pay a £45 deposit for exchanging the cartridge for a new one. If they test the returned cartridge & it dose turn out to be a manufacturer fault I get the £45 refunded... if the are honest about what they find I guess!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
The outlet temp will not be the same as testing a mixer tap...

you say it goes only a few degrees hotter from 38° to 45°... well, that's only 7° difference.

What is it like to shower in? Shouldn't be too hot or too cold.

Sponsored Links
I sent someone to do a "simple" job of replacing a shower cartridge and all for a rather low price.

Next day customer calls saying the water is too cool.

I called the maker and they said the output temperature needs to be adjusted! I asked why they dont say that in the instructions? Silence! I asked if they would pay for the return visit? Phone put down!

Thats the kind of response you get from firms like Triton!

Hi thanks for all the replies!

cheaper to get a thermometer and check what the temps are.

Was thinking I should do this, will try it today & let you know.

What is it like to shower in? Shouldn't be too hot or too cold.

Must admit I've not tried, the bathroom is in my new house that I'm completely renovating so only tried the water on my arm so far I'm afraid. There's no doors in the house yet & if anyone knocks on the front at the min door they will probably catch an eye full of me in the shower! :LOL:

You sure the hot and cold feeds are the right way round?

Have you calibrated it?

Yes hot & cold are the right way around. Now then I'm going to make my self look super thick here & ask how should I have calibrated it? I have not read anything in the instructions about this???

Cheers!

Forgot to take a thermometer with me round the house today! :rolleyes:

Will take one tomorrow & give the water temp range a test ;)

Well finally tested the water temp and got the following results:

When turned all the way down to 30 degrees the actual temp was 34 degrees.

When turned all the way up to 45 degrees the actual temp was 39 degrees.

So a 6 degree variation from 34 to 39, dose this sound like a valid case for returning to seller or not? The 39 degrees top temp is warm but sometimes I want it hotter, the Mrs defo will anyway!:LOL:

Cheers

Well I had a rite mess on buying & fitting pressure reducing valves as the seller demanded I try before they'd send out a replacement etc.

So in the end they finally sent out a new cartridge and what a surprise the shower worked. They refunded me the deposit for the replacement cartridge but no postage for returning the old one and I've got 2 pressure reducing valves that I didn't really need. What a carry on :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back