Thermostatic Mixer Valves

ijc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm about to replace a bath-tap-mixer style shower with a cubicle and proper thermostatic mixer. It will be fed via combi boiler and rising main, and currently this provides adequate pressure (nothing spectacular).

My question is this: is it worth buying a thermostatic mixer valve with a higher pressure rating (as claimed by B&Q!), in order to ensure no loss of pressure? The difference in prices between the lower and higher rated models is remarkable, but I'm very happy to pay for something that will ensure no drop in pressure compared to the existing bath-tap mixer!

Grateful for any advice and or related tips.

Thanks in advance

Ian

Sponsored Links
ijc said:
is it worth buying a thermostatic mixer valve with a higher pressure rating (as claimed by B&Q!), in order to ensure no loss of pressure?
Must be thermostatic if you have a combi .... Its to do with the risk of getting scalded

Must be thermostatic if you have a combi

Great answer; now what was the question !

is it worth buying a thermostatic mixer valve with a higher pressure rating (as claimed by B&Q!), in order to ensure no loss of pressure?

Don't have direct experience of this but is that B&Q the company or some bathroom section store 'assistant'. My understanding is that the 'high pressure system' valve have 1/2" (just about 15mm) connectors and the 'none high pressure system' i.e. gravity fed valves have 3/4" (almost 22mm) connectors, ala bath taps vs basin taps.
So I guess if the feeds to the mixer are by 15mm pipes would there be any gain on having a larger than 15mm connectors ? Probably not unless the inner bore of the valve on the 3/4" is larger than the inner bore of the 1/2" than you could make a case for 2 15mm feeds (hot and cold) coming together in the valve would produce a greater output through a larger bore mixer than through a smaller bore !

You can buy what you like, if you are running a shower from a combi, the flow rates are notoriously ****e. Unless you are willing to shell out a few shillings.... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
sorry to diasgree......in my opinion combi showers are the one of the best ones....as long as its powerfull enough...ohh and no-one else uses the water at the same time

traineegasman said:
, if you are running a shower from a combi, the flow rates are notoriously s***te.

Not so Tgm.

My shower off the combi is superb, not measured the lpm but very happy with it. :D

Friends then?? :cry: :cry: :cry: :D

food-smiley-004.gif

Ok.

1) Press reply to post
2) Click img (2nd button from top left)
3) Go HERE
4) Left click under smiley chosen in the bar
5) Bar changes colour then right click
6) Select copy
7) Back to reply box, right click and paste.
8) click img button again.

HEY PRESTO

Above courtesy of Kevplumb :D

Expect a flurry of smilies now from everyone :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back