thermostatic rad valve question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Very quick question from a complete idiot who really should know the answer.

Is a thermostatic rad valve on maximum temp the same as having a regular lockshield valve that is fully open or will the TRV still kick in at high temp and restrict water flow.

The reason I ask is because every single radiator in my house has a TRV and there is no automatic bypass valve as far as I am aware. Therefore I have read that the radiator closest to my combi boiler can act as the bypass. Do I need to take the TRV off this radiator and replace with a regular valve or can I just put the TRV on Max the whole time.

Thanks very much

Matt

Sponsored Links
Is a thermostatic rad valve on maximum temp the same as having a regular lockshield valve that is fully open or will the TRV still kick in at high temp and restrict water flow.
A TRV set to max will kick in at about 30C! So, in theory, it is not the same as a wheel valve but, in practice it is

every single radiator in my house has a TRV and there is no automatic bypass valve as far as I am aware. Therefore I have read that the radiator closest to my combi boiler can act as the bypass. Do I need to take the TRV off this radiator and replace with a regular valve or can I just put the TRV on Max the whole time.
Do you have a room thermostat? You should do as it is not advisable to rely just on TRVs? The room with the thermostat should not have a TRV (though setting to Max or taking the top off will probably suffice).

Some boilers have built-in bypasses.

Do I need to take the TRV off this radiator and replace with a regular valve or can I just put the TRV on Max the whole time.

At least one rad on your heating circuit should be fitted with 2 lockshield's just in case all the TRV's close the water still has a circuit to run around. doesnt have to be the one closest to the combi, i normally do this in the bathroom ie (towelrail).. but this is not always the case and i would just make sure at least one TRV is set at max or take the head of the TRV off.

Lee

Sponsored Links
Take the trv head off the lounge rad or the hall. Then fit a wireless room stat in that room.

You then meet current regs ;)

It's a microgenus 23 MFFI by Ariston.... a bit of a dog I know but I'm too broke to change it. I guess it's probably 6 years old.

So let me get this straight.... Taking the head off a TRV (presumably the cap bit) is different from just putting it on maximum.

Yes its better to take it off as there will be no thermostat to close the pin down causing the valve to shut !
under the big white or chrome bit with the numbers depending on what TRV you have, you should be able to unscrew some sort of ring.. the TRV head should be able to pop off once you have undone this

Lee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back