Thermostatic Radiator Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if someone could help me with a quick query. The query I have is do thermostatic radiator valves control the boiler if you do not have a room thermostat controlling the combi boiler, as the place that I have moved into does not have a room thermostat and I would like to fit TRV's so that I will not be wasting money or heat.

Thank you

Richard

Sponsored Links
No, they control the water flowing into the radiators. If the room is hot, they will allow less water into the radiators, hence the radiator does not heat the room up.
But the boiler will be running all the time. Having TRVs will control the radiators though. When all the rooms are hot, the TRVs won't allow water into the radiators. The water will still be hot when it returns to the boiler, and the boiler will then turn off and stop heating the water.

when having trv's you must have one radiator which will have lockshield valves on it so that this radiator is always open.

Rather than just fitting TRVs, fit a roomstat as well. You can get some good programmable ones that allow you to have different temperatures for different times of day and different again for each day if required. This allows you to have an evening temperature about 70 F, but say 60 F all day, so you can work without overheating. A differential bypass valve will allow you to have all radiators with TRVs.

See this for lots of information.

Sponsored Links
Given that a heating system can be installed and maintained to have a life of 30 years and more, an extra £100 or £200 should be viewed in context. (And I doubt it would come to this much, but heating systems are a critical part of domestic dwellings, and should not be done with cheapness high up the list).

your definately right about that. I find more often then not customers prefer cheap alternative, maybe it makes them feel they are not getting ripped off, not that i'd do that of course

that you must use a bypass valve. You are no longer allowed to use an open rad???????

You can not use and open rad anymore and you should not need to an upto date combination boiler in large would have a bypass fitted :D

You can not use and open rad anymore
Where does it say that?
GPG 302 to Part L1 of the Building Regulations.

So it's a best practice recommendation, but what purpose does it serve? Any savvy person will be able to replace the plastic cap at one end of the rad with a turn-able head and you have an adjustable rad. Of course, if the system has been properly designed and the rads correctly sized, then the rad controlled by the room thermostat would have the adjustable valve fully open in any case.

A gate valve doesn't nor does a rad.

:?:

Of course, if the system has been properly designed and the rads correctly sized, then the rad controlled by the room thermostat would have the adjustable valve fully open in any case.

Not necassarily. depends what balancing the system requires.

You shouldn't use a gate valve or a rad/towel rail as a 'by-pass' ;)

Of course, if the system has been properly designed and the rads correctly sized, then the rad controlled by the room thermostat would have the adjustable valve fully open in any case.

Not necassarily. depends what balancing the system requires.

That's an interesting observation. So, if you can't balance using the lockshield alone, you close down the valve at the other end as well?

It also raises the question: should you balance a system with the wheel-valve fully or partly open?

You shouldn't use a gate valve or a rad/towel rail as a 'by-pass' ;)

Got it :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back