Thermostatic shower problems on a Mira 915a

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now that my central heating is sorted thanks to this forum, I thought I'd try and sort the shower.

It's a 10 yr old Mira 915a surface mounted thermostatic shower with falling connections (exposed).
The pump failed recently and this has been replaced with a Wickes £99 jobby. Its a positve head system btw.

Now, with the pump running you get an excellent power shower but the heat evaporates after 5-10 secs running and you get a cold shower. The hot water is reaching the shower though (going by heat of the pipe).

With the pump turned off you get a reduced flow (can live with it if need be) but the thermal controls work fine and you get the temp you want.

By my own deduction (which is probably flawed) the shower is working okay. I suspect the flow rate of the cold water is too high when pumped and this is somehow swamping the thermostatic control. Is that possible and would a flow restrictor in the cold supply cure this? I assume this would go where the cold pipe meets the shower?

I have bought the thermoscopic service pack (seals etc) but after the job I had fixing the flow control last year I've decided I hate taking this shower to pieces.

Sponsored Links
So assuming that you are confident that your shower pump is installed correctly etc., I say you should stop whimpering and fit that thermoscopic actuator. Dont be scared. The worst that could happen is that you knack it up and end up buying a new shower

PS YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!! MY 1000th post :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back